Light-O-Rama Forums

creating a new controller with CMB16D-QC

boatdog357

I need 8 channels 6 volts and 8 channels 12 volts dc.  this board would be perfect.  9-16 would be relays and the others would be leds.  I am unable to find the heatsinks so I can mount it in a enclosure.  are they going to be available still

You likely don't need the heatsinks..  The newer DC cards can handle 4 amps per channel without heat sinks.

thanks for the advice jim.  I will make me one out of scrap sheet aluminuim to mount it in a enclosure.  that will save me about 30 bucks.  

• 5 months later...

Jim can you confirm what I am about to say. Boatdog, I believe that those metal tabs on the MOSFET transistors are not isolated. I think you will need to use a insulator kit for each of those transistors. part of the reason that you will not find LOR selling a heatsink / mounting bracket.

Max is correct. The metal heatsinks on the MOSFETs are electrically hot. If you are driving relays and LEDs you likely don't need the heat sinks. Measure the current of your loads. If you really need heat sinks, you will need insulated mounting kits for each MOSFET. I don't have heat sinks on any of my four DC boards.

Correct, Jim and Max.

If you tie those tabs together with a heat sink, you will short all of them out.  Please read the user manual for the board.  In there it explains what you need to do to add heat sinks if you REALLY need them.  Hints:  Non conductive heat sink grease, mica insulators, nylon screws and nuts.

Why not get a DMX relay board instead of making one with an LOR controller that can do a lot more and therefore be used elsewhere for greater effect? You could save money, even when you factor in another LOR USB485 if you don't already have a DMX network, and then have more low voltage lights/RGB channels.

Edited by EmmienLightFan