Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx help

joshua

I have a ctb 16 pc v2 I am trying to get it to work as dmx, I have the listener port open, when I go to play sequence it doesn't recognize the controller, no solid light, how do I get it to work?

Never done DMX, but sounds like your network preferences are assigning the serial port for your dongle as a LOR network and not the DMX network.

Yep, go into Network preferences and unconfigure the LOR network in the LOR tab.  Then go into the DMX tab and configure one of the Universes specifying the lOR dongle   it will have some funky device ID like    A1000ghF  (This is what mine is)

Then save that,  then make sure that you have the channels in the sequence set to that universe and make sure you understand

what addresses your LOR controller is listening for (based on the Unit ID#).

Just wondering, why do you want to run this in DMX mode ?  do you have other DMX devices you want to control on

the same dongle ?

If the answer is no, then running them in LOR mode is a much better Idea as far as network and CPU load.

Tim

LOR dongle USB 485

I'm confused ..... The LOR USB-485 dongle isnt a DMX device.

You would need a DMX dongle or a E1.31 DMX bridge ..

Bob

The LOR USB485B dongle can be configured as a DMX dongle. and there is no need to make a special cable IF you are using a LOR controller.   It acts like a open DMX adapter, so the computer must do all the processing for every command.

IF you use the LOR USB485B adapter to control standard DMX fixtures, them you will need a cable to cross the connections

from pin 4 and 5 to pins 1 and 2.

And Yes hardware utility is useless for DMX also be aware, that with DMX you need to have the LOR control panel up and running in order to control lights. This starts the DMX listeners, which send the DMX commands out to the various adapters or E1.31 devices.

You also Need an Advanced License for DMX

I got it to work, made my cross over cable, I am running in dmx mode because I have other stuff, dumb rgb that is dmx, and only have 1 dongle that works with LOR, I am however having a problem with the LOR boxes dropping the signal in the middle of song, then coming back and dropping again. Any suggestions why?

• Like 1

Have read several posts in other forums detailing similar issues when using the LOR dongle for dmx. I started reading after Tim shared that it can be used. I would suggest either a dmx dongle or a dmx bridge like the J1Sys D2.

Yes, Skip messing with dongles......

I made the decision from the start to use E1.31 (DMX over ethernet) after having read about issues with dongles

I use a Sandevices E6804  with can run pixels, or give you up to 4 DMX outputs (4 universes)  It never misses a beat.

If you think you are going to expand the DMX control, get some sort of E1.31 DMX bridge, there are several available.

I still run my LOR controllers off the RS485B in LOR mode, which has never failed me.

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm hoping it's ok reopen this thread. I have a couple of dmx questions. ...I am having problem running the a 12 strand sequence. I have an advatek 16, I've the network connection on the LOR sequences editor, I've changed the ch configuration to the dmx and universes in LOR. I can't get the lights to play, the 1st 8 lights light up the last 4 do not, with the 1st one being half strip red.....any help is greatly appreciated