Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to an empty Channel

dl20415

I have to move a channel to another controller in my show! How can I do this without going back and changing it in all 32 sequences?

Unless you're changing the unit ID of the new controller to match the old one, you can't avoid updating each sequence.

you can use this tool to do it:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/30005-lor-cc-dmx-lets-you-use-cc-in-the-visualizer-and-dmx-in-the-show/

here's an example configuration file that will swap unit 1 channel 7 to unit 3 channel 9:

{

"sourceDirectory": "s:\\Light-O-Rama\\Sequences\\Christmas",
    "destDirectory": "s:\\Light-O-Rama\\Sequences\\Christmas\\fixed",
    "mappings":[
        {
            "name": "move 1.7-3.9",
            "From": {
                "protocol": "LOR",
                "network": "Regular",
                "units": [1],
                "startChannel": 7,
                "maxChannel": 7
            },
            "To": {
                "protocol":"LOR",
                "units": [3],
                "startChannel": 9,
                "maxChannel": 9
            }
        },
        {
            "name": "move 3.9-1.7",
            "From": {
                "protocol": "LOR",
                "network": "Regular",
                "units": [3],
                "startChannel": 9,
                "maxChannel": 9
            },
            "To": {
                "protocol":"LOR",
                "units": [1],
                "startChannel": 7,
                "maxChannel": 7
            }
        }

]
}

Or you can simply open up each sequence, go to the channel, right click on the name and make the change manually.

Or you can simply open up each sequence, go to the channel, right click on the name and make the change manually.

That works true.  I'm biased toward my solution because I'm lazy.

Don,

Since the app isnt actually deleting or adding an XML node (just changing values) I dont think SavedIndex is an issue in this case.

Oddly enough though.. LOR is pretty cool about reindexing stuff. The app that I wrote (presented elsewhere) actually removes the nodes for the CCR macro channels BUT .. it also removes the SavedIndex entry as well. When  you open the modifed LMS it either ignores that there are holes in the index or simply reindexs on its own ... Either way it works like a charm.

Bob

Then I must have completely mixed up what the SavedIndex was for. 

What I thought:

When importing a LCC into an existing sequence, it would look at the SavedIndex values to know where to place things. Thus is Unit4/Circuit4 had a SavedIndex of "45" then imported LCC's would have the events of the current "45" moved to the "45" as defined in the incoming LCC. This is why (again, I thought) that when people import their LCC's from previous years, and have done massive changes to the config, outside of the Master Track method, things get messed up.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you move 2 or 3 channels around with that tool, then re-import it into a LMS that needs the same changes.

Create a 32 channel sequence, Save LCC. Save copy of sequence.

1. All On Channels 01 - 1-16.

2. Use the tool to move any of the 16 channels to Unit 02.

3. Save new LCC.

4. Open saved copy of original sequence, and then import the new LCC.

5. Does the All On stay with Unit 01? Does one move to 02?

Added complexity: Create a new channel *before* step 3 above. Repeat 4 and 5.

I think we are on two different tracks...

Keiths app modifies the LMS file.. change ctrl 1, channel 1 to ctrl 4, channel 3 etc ...

really no different that opening the sequence as George suggested, rt click and set ..

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

How does your solution deal with SavedIndex?

Like bob mentioned: The savedIndex doesn't change the network, controller number and channels numbers do.     It's different from saving and loading the channel layout which does depend on savedIndexes. 

I added 2 RGB controllers to my setup this year.  After modifying one sequence with the new RGB controllers, I saved the channel configuration.  I inserted the new RGB controllers between two 16 channel controllers.  I went to another sequence and imported the new channel configuration and got a mess.  I had to go and add the new RGB controllers to each sequence.

I added 2 RGB controllers to my setup this year.  After modifying one sequence with the new RGB controllers, I saved the channel configuration.  I inserted the new RGB controllers between two 16 channel controllers.  I went to another sequence and imported the new channel configuration and got a mess.  I had to go and add the new RGB controllers to each sequence.

You'll learn from that to always ad new channels at the end.  BTW this only applies to track 1, if and only if you add all channels there.   Use other track to arrange them in a more intuitive way.   Someday, my tool may allow removal of a controller,  we'll see.   I hope LORs new file format is easily enough to figure out o they publish the formats :)   

• The topic was locked