Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinking about replacing old Laptop. What would you recommend?

Santas Helper

I love my new dell with 23" touchscreen all in one. Wireless keyboard and mouse, very compact. No tower, no wires. I know they cost more, but I love it. Huge hard drive and the Intel I5, 4gb ram is more than adequate for my 3000 channels. I know this probably isn't the best way to go, but it is way better than old laptop(7 years old and still worked and ran show fine) and I love the touchscreen after hours of using the mouse.

I was actually 100% against this when I went to Best Buy to purchase. I wanted a desktop. My wife has had a similar computer for a few years and loves it. After looking at prices of towers and purchasing separate monitor it was close to same cost. Only thing bad is if any component fails on the computer you're pretty much screwed.

I am having to computer shop now also.

The older desk top I was using for my show,,,, Windows XP is getting sick I think, and there is no support for XP any more so I kinda am forced to get something with at least win 7 on it.  

I gonna check Wally World to see what they have that is just good enough to run the shows and play with.... Keeping this one for the real work..

oh someone mentioned hungry..... I think I will stop at KFC and eat some  dead bird before i come back home..

I think I will stop at KFC and eat some  dead bird before i come back home..

As long as your not eating crow Sarge. :lol:

hahaha im not... but I just goit home with my new ACER..... 8.1 and I am soooo lost..... i got it connected and working but now how the heck do i start LOR etc. and load my sequenses onto it..... Danggggggggggggggggg XP and win 7 was so much easier...thia is going to take me a while to figure out because it is so much more complicated... 

:wub: bring back my XP...

Just something for you to think about.... LOR seems to not be that compatible with windows 8.1   I downloaded it, registered it ok with no problem. 

the problem comes when trying to start the control panel.... IT doe not start. also my super star sequencer is not showing up as available on windows 8.1  if it is I cannot find it. 

It may be fine I don't know. I have never used win 8.1 before but it seems to not work all that well.... can anyone here give me some advice on it or the right place on the forum to read about it.

Thanks

retired_old_sarge@yahoo.com

Just something for you to think about.... LOR seems to not be that compatible with windows 8.1   I downloaded it, registered it ok with no problem. 

the problem comes when trying to start the control panel.... IT doe not start. also my super star sequencer is not showing up as available on windows 8.1  if it is I cannot find it. 

It may be fine I don't know. I have never used win 8.1 before but it seems to not work all that well.... can anyone here give me some advice on it or the right place on the forum to read about it.

Thanks

retired_old_sarge@yahoo.com

Sarge,

If you got it from a reputable dealer you could ask them to what they call a downgrade to windows 7. If they are above board and know what they are doing they will do it for you at no cost to you. Your other option would be send it to me. There are ways to make windows 8 look and run just like windows 7. As far as XP you are out of luck.

I got it at wally world... I may just reset it back to factory specs and take it back and tell them its a piece of crap.... I have one with win 7 that I use all the time... this is it, but I just wanted the other.... (Cheap) to run the show with. as i have been using a older one with XP on it. 

have you heard of LOR and win 8.1 not working together

Edited by Old Sarge

Whilst i hate windows 8 I have no problems running LOR and there have been several posts which support this over the last year.  Windows 8 takes a bit of getting used to.  If you can't find something you have loaded just start tying the name of it on the home page and it will pop up.  This is the easiest way to find apps.  Hope this helps.

OK I think I got it working well enough... downloaded what they call classic shell on my 8.1. it added a menu back on it and made it a little more like win 7 ... at least i was able to find my LOR. just have to go into the program menu to start it.

Super star is there also just it has the initila SSE for it instead of the name.... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa im back in business again.

It will just take me a lot of time getting use to this new more complicated simple stuff... lol I will still use my win 7 for most things and the win 8.1 only for my show or when I have to... I will see if there are any better things then classic shell to make it look and act a little more like win 7 or XP. I have it set of win 7 right now but will check the others and see how they are in case someone else needs the info to..

thanks Joe,e I had forgot that win 7 had a app to to let it act more like XP,

I just hadn't used it in a long time.

Sarge,

I was not referring to windows 7 acting like windows XP. I was referring to making windows 8 act like windows 7.

If you get a chance PM me and I will let you in on how to make your windows 8 look and act like windows 7.

• The topic was locked