Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinking about replacing old Laptop. What would you recommend?

Santas Helper

My laptop computer is a 2006 Gateway model. I'm thinking about replacing before the next year holiday season. And before it eventually crashes from old age.

What are folks using now days for LOR and having good results?

It will strictly be used for LOR programing and running the show. No games and stuff.

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Unless you have a reason to, go for a desktop rather than a laptop. Less expensive for what you get, easier to update later or replace parts (such as a failed hard drive).

Jim,

I appreciate the input. I have it sitting in my garage on a shelf and not much room for everything (computer, monitor, mouse, keypad). A tight fit already.

But it is something I could entertain a little more.

I am thinking of picking up something basic to just run the show so I can have my main windows desktop back to sequence and use as we were using it before the show started. So I will be intrigued by the responses you get. We are mainly a Mac household but do have a windows machine attached to television in basement for gaming, media uses and now lor. Lol.

Remember,  IE11 does not get along with the LOR sites or forums.  IE 12 when it comes out my be better also a lot of desk tops are not much bigger then a lap top if you look around some.

They have all in one with touch screen etc. and they do have a lot of compact ones now days.

I was just looking at a couple at Walmart today but don't really remember the prices etc.  also is a good idea to back up all your shows to so you dont lose them if a hard drive crashs. and like was said...

its a lot easier to get replacement parts for a desk top then a lap top.

Thanks Sarge,

I will look around.

I did not realize the problem with IE 11. I'll keep that in mind.

I've been backing up my stuff since 2006. I learned way back then the hard way and told myself, it won't happen again. And it hasn't.

Thanks,

Tom

I would say depending on your channel count....

I purchased a lower end laptop a few years ago (i3, 4gb ram, ect) and notice lag. Borrowed a better PC and lag went away. So this year I purchased a much faster laptop (i7, 16gb ram, SSD) and ran smooth. However, if you using e1.31 you may not need that much horsepower. I added more channels this year than previous and tried running with my older/slower laptop and ran fine via e1.31....no lag. I'll keep it around as a backup.

Also, a side note not really related to PC speed....I learned in the early years to use a powered USB hub for multi networks so I didn't use up all my USB ports. That works fine for less channels counts, non-pixel fast moving sequences. But say you have 1000 pixels over several networks and trying to cram that down over one USB port via hub....no good. Too much and will lag. So trash the hub and each USB adapter gets it own port. Too many networks and get a desktop. Those have 10+ ports.

I need to replace my lapper this month too..

Those computer gurus out there.. what say thee?

+1

First let me state that this is just my opinion. I build PC's for clients. I would not recommend a laptop. They run quite hot. Not very much ventilation.

If you are running a lot of rgb an Asus cor I7 with at least 4 gigs of ram. If you are more old school and not heavy into rgb Asus Cor I5 and at least 4 gigs of ram.

A mini tower is a great option. Small great cooling. Just my two cents worth.

I appreciate the input Joe.

I've been running off a laptop since 2006 and while running warm, I prop it up on a 1x2 to help vent better and does help.

Another reason on a laptop is if I go mobile.

I've done light shows for retirement parties, wedding receptions and other events. So laptop is top choice for mobile applications.

No problems with current laptop but just thinking ahead before something bad does happen.