Light-O-Rama Forums

Aux network lag

Gilles

So I narrow down the lagging problem to aux network. As soon as hook it up, it affects entire sequence on both networks. This network contains 10 ccp matrix. I checked 500k speed and everything on it is assigned to Aux A. Lagging time could be as much as 15 seconds and then in the middle of the song it skips so many commands to catch up. What can be the cause?

Edited by Gilles

I'm having a similar problem with one song that's real heavy on color morphs.  I've got 6 networks (2 are 500K) and they're all affected at the same part of the song every time it plays.  I'll be cutting back on some of the morphs until it quits happening.  You might have much the same issue - just too many commands trying to go out at the same time.

Edited by George Simmons

So I narrow down the lagging problem to aux network. As soon as hook it up, it affects entire sequence on both networks. This network contains 10 ccp matrix. I checked 500k speed and everything on it is assigned to Aux A. Lagging time could be as much as 15 seconds and then in the middle of the song it skips so many commands to catch up. What can be the cause?

If you are running the Gn3 MP3 player did you update the firmware? Did you up date the firmware on the ccps & configure them? I have a 12 ccr Matrix with animation like guitar playing, a drummer, piano player, words & other animation especailly in my "Let It Go" Superstar sequence & it plays very well with the GN3 Player.

There is one thing I learned from last season & that is no one cared about the rest of the display when I added the 12 ccr Matrix. I saw peoples eyes totally focused on the Matrix & the animation going on from the living room & from pretending I was an observer outside.  When I saw that I did another animation sequence & left the lights " all on" & once again all eyes were on the Matrix. I also think that having a small from yard with a Matrix or a ccr Matrix is also part of the problem. When ever I watch videos where folks have a ccr tree or a pixel tree my eyes are fixed on the tree & I don't notice the rest of the display & more so when the yard is small.

You could make a "Test Sequence" & leave the  "Lights All On" & just have the CCP Matrix running instead & see what happens. I also found that the -35c temps we had last week may have done some damage to 1 pixel string. It is warming up to 0c on  Saturday here in the Edmonton, AB area & so I may try the reset button to see if I can get that string running proper again.

• 11 months later...

lightzilla hit the nail on the head when it comes to matrices and (to a lesser extent) CCR trees.  When anything akin to video is playing, it captures 100% of the viewer's attention to the point that the rest of the show might as well not even exist.  Text is the worst culprit since text demands to be read.  Of course if you don't have any of those fancy RGB elements, a mega tree is just as bad!  Whatever element in your show is the flashiest or most engaging will be the part that gobbles the majority of the viewer's attention.

When I was setting up my show this year I kept that in mind by limiting the amount of matrix effects that I use.  Only 1/3 of my sequences use the matrix.  When the matrix is used, I do so very selectively.  Either I only use it for a short section in the middle or toward the end of my sequence or what I put on it is very repetitive.  In the former case, it creates an accent just like any of the other special effects in my display.  In the latter case, the viewer's eyes quickly learn the pattern and then start looking again at the rest of the display.  

Either way, try sequencing your songs in a way that tells a story and leads your viewer's eyes through the display.  The worst shows are the ones where everything is flashing all the time.  You end up with the sense that if you've seen one song, you've seen them all.  But if the sequence is done where it draws your eye to one area and then to another, followed by another during the song you're going to really impress people.  This is accomplished by letting most of the display be quasi-static while one area has action.  Then the action moves to a different part of the display.  Also try to hold elements in reserve.  My personal strategy is that each sequence only uses about half of my channels and no more than one or two special effects (like snowfall lights, strobes or the light wall).  The next song in the show will bring in another 1/4 of what's there while phasing out half of what I had been using in the prior sequence.  As the moves from song to song the viewer is constantly being treated to new things and at the same time I avoid the gaudiness that comes from having everything going all the time.

Also, if you do things right you will have people coming multiple times during the season.  They may pay a lot of attention to your matrix the first time (or three) but then they'll start appreciating the other things in the display.  It is a GREAT thing to have people tell you that every time they watch your show, they see something new.

Just some easy tips.   :)

Edited by aurickle