Light-O-Rama Forums

Updating firmware through Linker

lkinsey

I probably missed it somewhere in the instructions, I can't update the firmware in two of my controllers attached via a linker (RF-V4), Is this normal? One is green and one is blue, the six other blues updated easily. I also updated the linkers successfully.

It would be very difficult to hardwire them temporarily and I would probably let them go.

I'm only considering the update because sometimes the lights don't reset to off.

Should I consider slowing down the data rate to get a more consistent control???

lkinsey wrote:

I probably missed it somewhere in the instructions, I can't update the firmware in two of my controllers attached via a linker (RF-V4), Is this normal? One is green and one is blue, the six other blues updated easily. I also updated the linkers successfully.

It would be very difficult to hardwire them temporarily and I would probably let them go.

I'm only considering the update because sometimes the lights don't reset to off.

Should I consider slowing down the data rate to get a more consistent control???

Not sure of the answer to your question, but is it possible to get a laptop to the units, hardwired?

-Tim

Hi,

In general a slower speed will give you better results on the data. More important it the positioning of the antennas. Make sure they are up off the ground standing up straight and positioned with the least obstructions between them.

Currently to update firmware via the ELLs you need to have them set at 19.2. I do not think that a firmware upgrade will have any impact on the issue you have. More likely it is an issue with an occasionally missed command on the ELLs.

Hi Tim,

The controllers are outside and enclosed which is the problem. On a warm day (it's snowing now) I'll consider digging into it if The resetting of the lights becomes a problem.

As an as-side, because the units are outside, I've had to enclose a heater to make the controllers more consistent so I'm reluctant to open them up and expose them again to the freezing temps and possibly more condensation.

lkinsey wrote:

As an as-side, because the units are outside, I've had to enclose a heater to make the controllers more consistent so I'm reluctant to open them up and expose them again to the freezing temps and possibly more condensation.

All my controllers are outside, unheated other than the heat they generate themselves... Condensation might cause problems but the cold shouldn't...

-Tim

I degraded the speed of the Linkers down to 19,200 and then lost the controllers completely. If the controllers in turn need to be degraded to match, or there is another step involved in this change of speed I'm in the dark. I've returned the Linkers to 57,600.

lkinsey wrote:

I degraded the speed of the Linkers down to 19,200 and then lost the controllers completely. If the controllers in turn need to be degraded to match, or there is another step involved in this change of speed I'm in the dark. I've returned the Linkers to 57,600.

Did you adjust both of the light linkers or only the one that was attached to the PC?

I'm only using 2 linkers currently so I assume one is the designated transmitter and the other one the receiver.

I only took one step in the frequency change in the LOR Hardware Utility on the LOR RF Options page.

I'm assuming by your question that it's a two step process and I only degraded the transmitter linker.

How do I then downgrade the receiver Linker if that's what your getting at.

Do I need to connect the receiver linker directly to the computer temporarily to change it to 19.2? Does the previous linker then become the receiver for the moment or can the temporary transmitting linker operate by itself for the change to take place?

The linkers are transceivers, they do both transmit and receive. Yes to configure a pair of linkers you have to attach each one, one at a time to the computer and use the hardware utility.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

I'll do that the first opportunity.

The manual doesn't go into a lot of detail on such changes and implies that two linkers work together as a unit or pair so I naturally assumed that such changes would effect both units simultaneously.