Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio power

Bustluvr

Hi all what do you all use to boost speaker volume with out breaking the bank. My laptop speaker volume isn't loud enough to drive my speakers 35 foot away.

I use an FM transmitter for the people in their cars. So with that said, in the garage, I have a receiver with outdoor speakers connected to it, therefore audio to the yard when needed and its plenty powerful. The cars get it in their own radios.

Same here.

Ive also thought about putting cheap boom boxes in trash bags and scattering them through the yard, by a controller so you can plug it in. That way you could have a low volume throughout the display.

Ditto on the transmitter.

One stereo receiver in the house with a set of Bose outdoor speaker, and 200 watts of power in the garage attached to speakers that are too large to keep in the house anymore these days and a sub-woofer the neighbors have already complained about during the summer.

Sure is nice having the rental properties across the street both vacant this season and the neighbor on the side with the garage involved in the display.

I installed 4 speakers in my front yard before I was doing a light show.  These are similar to what I have.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TIC-8-in-150-Watt-In-Ground-Outdoor-Speaker-GS-3/100596818

In my bedroom closet I have two 75 watt per channel stereo amplifiers.  Each output drives one of the speakers.  This was all permanently installed as part of my landscaping project.

The output from my show computer goes into a small audio mixing panel that has both a Main and Aux stereo outputs.  The Main output goes to my FM transmitter and the Aux outputs go to the amps in the closet.  The power to the amplifiers comes from a relay that is controlled by one of my LOR channels that is not in any sequence.  During the evenings, I run one show that has a background sequence that has exactly one channel in it - the one controlling the amps.  At about 9:00 PM, the evening show ends with a short announcement that the yard speakers will be turned off and to continue listening to the show, please listen on 101.5 MHz on your FM radio.  The nighttime show is exactly the same except the yard speaker on background sequence is not included, and the shutdown sequence announces that the show is concluding for the evening and will return at 5:00 PM tomorrow.

The speakers are set so that the audio can just barely be heard on the sidewalk across the street.

• The topic was locked