Light-O-Rama Forums

Network connection drops during show

dbltrukr1

Running 7 CTB16PC controllers with v3.11.2 Advanced software on a Windows XP computer. Doing testing last week and Hardware Utility would not find controllers all the time, wouldn't find them 3 or 4 times then it would. Swapped out Cat5e cables from USB485 to 1st controller and had same problem, used a different cable to skip to 2ed controller and had same problem. Started a Help Ticket with LOR about a possible bad USB485, they suggested I test my cables and update my drivers. Went and bought a cable tester and tested cables, had 1 questionable which I replaced, and updated my drivers. Hardware Utility found everything 1st try several times, I thought my problems were solved. Show started Thanksgiving night just fine and ran for at least the first hour that I know of, I had to leave for work so I don't know about the other 3 hours. Friday night show started fine, 5 minutes in I noticed 5 controllers not working. Checked power, tested cables, cussed (a lot), and disabled show. Went and picked up supper and tried it again when I got home 30 minutes later, it started and ran the rest of the night. Saturday night, show started and ran half way through the 1st song and dropped the link again. Worked on it for about an hour with no luck. Hour later I tried again and it worked and ran about 1 1/2 hours before it quit again. I have tried linking with the Windows 8.1 laptop I sequence on with the same results, even trying to connect at last controller. The only thing I have not tried is a different USB485, which I ordered tonight. Anybody got any ideas? Its embarrassing when a Party Bus pulls up full of people and hear a message that the lights are down because of a technical issues that is too technical for the technician to understand.... 

I just powered mine up this evening and having the same problem.  I have 7 CTB16, 1 CCR, and 1 CMB24.  I tried checking from different controllers with laptop and my desktop is doing the same thing.  My desktop has a different USB485 then my laptop also.  I was just getting ready to start a ticket to see if LOR had any suggestions.  What to do? 

Two possibilities that come to mind: First is that you have a bad RJ45 connector in whichever of the controllers in the daisychain, is where the problem appears or the last one where it still works. The small wire fingers of the RJ45 connectors can get pushed in and not retract back out enough to make a good contact. The next possibility is with Windows 8.1. I did a little reading on this when someone else had a similar thing happen and I don't know if they fixed it or not, since they didn't write back. Windows 8.1 has the ability to turn off USB ports after a period of time to save power. You can go into the "power" section of the control panel, select advanced and then USB ports and disable any power off of those. Not sure that's the cause but try just in case.

I found the problem, I had 2 Cat5e cables that had intermittent problems. Didn't show up the 1st time I tested them. Upgrading to Cat6 cables in the future. 

Cat 6 is no better than Cat 5 in a LOR network. Even the faster LOR network wont be able to tell the difference between 5 or 6. Now 6 is needed if your going to run a Gigabite on copper network.

• The topic was locked