Light-O-Rama Forums

Can phone line replace cat5?

jgordon

While the Cat5 ports on a controller can be used as an "In" or "Out" port.  I believe the RJ11 (phone port)  can only be used as an"In" port.  Meaning you could wire one end (the out port)with a RJ45 connector (cat5) & the other end with a RJ11 connector and send data that way.  Have you tried using the other available CAT45 port to see if you can get it to work that way?

I happen to have a 16 channel DC card sitting here on my desk. According to my DVM, the middle two pins on the RJ-11 are paralleled with the middle two pins on the RJ-45s. So that means that you should be able to use the RJ-11 (after reterminating the cable) just fine. I have not actually tried that, but it looks like it should work.

My first two years, I mixed the two types of line without problem.  I don't have an instruction manual available at the moment, but I know it does address this in the manual.

i have one of my 8 lor boxes that both cat 5 ports are dead i had to reset the id had never done it with rj11 and did not have the stuff to hook directly to computer so i took unit 7 powered it down hooked the usb 485b to my lap top ran hardware it foundthe bad box i reset id and it showed a good com signal we ll soon know.

• The topic was locked