Light-O-Rama Forums

Needing help quick!

smjosephrn

One of my children tripped over the Cat5 cable as I was setting up.  The result was a loosening in the Cat5 Cable receptacle on the LOR boards (both of them)  Those receptacles no longer work.  I can make one of them the last controller in the chain but it still leaves me a controller short for my show this year.  I tried switching to the telephone cable but to be honest, I don't know how to do this exactly.  And when I plug the Telco cable into the controller the red light goes from blinking to off and the hardware utility does not recognize it.    The Telco cable is 4 wire, so that is not the problem.  Here's my set-up.

1 LOR 1600 series controller (it has a damaged receptacle)

8 CTB16PC controllers (only one of which is damaged)

They are all already numbered from 1-9 in the hardware utility.

There was some mention in the help files of a selector being set for telephone cable but I cannot find a selector nor do I know where it is.

So if I'm reading this right, you have two controllers, each with one loose (not working) CAT5 RJ45 connector?  So you have one good one on each too right?  

I haven't tried this myself but it should work.  plug the good RJ45 port into a ethernet switch then from the switch to the next controller.  It would allow the daisy chain to continue.  Just not sure if there would be any delay in light sequence but it offers a quick fix and worth a try if yo have a spare switch to try it with.

The phone jack RJ11 on a controller is an "In" port. The RJ45 can also be used with an RJ11 phone jack as an "Out" port to connect two controllers but you would still need to utilize one of the RJ45 connectors.

Please do not get your LOR RS-485 anywhere near an ethernet switch. Although they use the same commonly available Cat-5 cable, they are not compatible, and connecting the RS-485 and an ethernet device together risks damage to one or both devices.

• Like 1

OMG.....no no no no no no........

Jim is 100% on this.....DO NOT plug your LOR network into an Ethernet switch.....additionaly you also can not use a splitter on the LOR network. It only works in as daisy chained config...

Please do not blow up you show...

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll not try the Ethernet switch.  Although it did sound like a good idea.  I'd really like to figure out the telephone wire thing though.  I figure that I can do with one down, but not both.  (I can use one as a terminator.) 
As a precaution I ordered an new board with rush delivery from LOR.  Then I'll send one of them in for repair when I get the board. 

what I'd like to do is:

Computer-->Cat5-->controller #1--->phone cord (4wire)--->Controller #2--->Cat5--->Controller 3 through 9 with controller 9 being the damaged one as a terminator.

Is this possible?

OK, I just read this earlier tonight. You need to make a short patch cord about 6" long. Buy a adapter that has three female ports. 1st port is cable from controller #1. Port #2 is the short patch cord to the #2 controller that has only one port working. 3rd port of adapter has cord going to 3rd controller. Do the same at the other controller with a bad socket. This makes something of a rat nest and you will want to make repairs after the season is over.

Note your kids or you or an animal will do this again. I have some massive stakes that I mount my controllers on . What I do is make a loose over hand knot with the cat 5 cable at the base of the stake. I have snagged the cable so hard I thought for sure I was screewed. Saved my bacon a few times. Find a way to anchor the cable then take it up to the controller socket.

• Like 1

OMG.....no no no no no no........ Jim is 100% on this.....DO NOT plug your LOR network into an Ethernet switch.....additionaly you also can not use a splitter on the LOR network. It only works in as daisy chained config... Please do not blow up you show... Bob

DOH!   Sorry for the misinformation on the switch.  It sounded like a simple fix but I should of looked further into it before giving bad info.  My apologies. thanks for the correction Bob...

• The topic was locked