Light-O-Rama Forums

After the show ended for the night, I noticed 1 strand was still on at 20%?

Big Sanch Mafia

Thanks Kevin for all your help. I guess i misunderstood..i only plugged the incann into the end of the LED string.

However after that, I took Max Paul's advice and moved the cord from the controllers to a different wall outlet... a wall outlet that i had my electrician wire last year and that seemed to fix my issue. The crazy part that Max Paul said about if the ground is wet that the lights will glow more. Will it rained this morning and thats where i really noticed a lot of glowing. So when he said that, a light went on in my head (no pun intended)... The outlet i had the controllers plugged in was most likely an old outlet. so very happy you suggested this Max Paul and happy to get it corrected.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback and help.

Glad to see you solved your issue.

Just to follow-up on my comment to reverse the plug.  I'll try to describe what I meant.

I'm not sure about your LED strings but the majority of strings I have do not have polarized plugs on them.  e.g. one blade on the plug is wider than the other.  If that is the case, unplug the string, rotate the plug half a turn and plug it back in.  You are reversing the direction of the hot and neutral so the current flows the opposite way through the string.

Glad to see you solved your issue.

Just to follow-up on my comment to reverse the plug.  I'll try to describe what I meant.

I'm not sure about your LED strings but the majority of strings I have do not have polarized plugs on them.  e.g. one blade on the plug is wider than the other.  If that is the case, unplug the string, rotate the plug half a turn and plug it back in.  You are reversing the direction of the hot and neutral so the current flows the opposite way through the string.

Thanks for the clarification...i get what you mean now. Has nothing to do with the wire, your just essentially flipping it over and plugging it in upside down.

BSM go on to the hardware store and buy one of those outlet testers. Only a few bucks and like I said they are real handy to have. Most of them have 3 lights and a little key diagram that explains the combinations that the lights might glow in. Test the outlet you had been using and the outlet you are now using. Any difference in the patter the little lights glow on the tester? Bet the first outlet is wired with the hot and neutral backwards.

Glad it rained and you saw that the lights glowed brighter. So what was happening is that the neutral was getting turned on and off in the controller and the hot was always going out to the lights. Then via capacity coupled to ground just a wee o bit of current and that  is all it takes to make LEDs glow.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to report that the snubber suggestion worked for me. I tried reversing the plug and that didn't work. I installed a snubber and the lights went out instantly. Thanks!

Regards to everyone,

William

Max Paul, I'll pick one up this week and see what i discover, im sure it is wired backwards.

William, happy to hear you got your issues fixed too.

This turned out to be a very beneficial thread and educating as well.

Thanks everyone