Light-O-Rama Forums

After the show ended for the night, I noticed 1 strand was still on at 20%?

Big Sanch Mafia

Last night was opening night. I went outside after the show ended and noticed one strand of Blue LEDS 5mm were still on but only at maybe 20%. any ideas why?

I unplugged the strand. anything to worry about?

Thoughts?

Thanks Chad

You might need a snubber at the end of the string of you have a triac going out

is it strange that this is happening to only one strand?

Could be any of the above replies. But lets not discount the snubber. Triacs need a certain amount of load to get them to turn off. One short string 35 - 50 LED might not be enough to cause the triac to turn fully off. So adding a snubber (basicly a resistor or ican lamp).

Thanks for all the feedback. i just noticed on my 3 mini trees that maybe 20 of the bulbs were still lit at the 20% level. This is a new controller I'm using so could this be a warranty thing?

it didn't happen last year, although i didn't use this particular controller because its new. so is the only fix a snubber?

do i need to worry that these lights are staying on?

I'm still baffled as to why they are still on, can some provide a bit more detail as to why this happen. i understand it could be a weal Triac but to happen on lets say 4 out 16 strings on one controller is weird. Any help on this or how i go about a snubber would be great and appreciated.

Thanks Chad

Chad are we mixing apples and oranges? Meaning do you have exactly the same number of LED bulbs on each channel? Or does one channel have 30 count string on it and the next channel have two strings of 100 count LED?

Chad are we mixing apples and oranges? Meaning do you have exactly the same number of LED bulbs on each channel? Or does one channel have 30 count string on it and the next channel have two strings of 100 count LED?

Yes, each channel has a different amount of lights to each channel.

I have had occasions where an LED string would glow.  I reversed the plug and the problem stopped.

what do you mean by "reversed" the plug?

I also wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I have one mini tree that is still on at approximately 20% also. I have an extra snubber so I'm gonna try that. I am interested in what you mean by "reversed" also. Thanks!

A new thought, as i left early for work today and noticed a few other strands were on. this year i have 2 controllers and i have them plugged into a 4 way extension cord reel. from the reel is one cord that i plug into the garage electrical outlet. Maybe this is reducing my power to shut the lights off?

Thoughts?

I think basis means by reversing the power plug on the strings....the prongs may be the same size. Most power plug prongs one is slightly larger than the other, but I've seen many where both are the same. If the are the same, reverse or rotate it. Or if you made your own extension cables, it may be reversed. If you cables and plugs are good....try the snubber as suggested. If you don't have one, add a incandescent bulb, string or even a plug-in air fresher to the end.

I think basis means by reversing the power plug on the strings....the prongs may be the same size. Most power plug prongs one is slightly larger than the other, but I've seen many where both are the same. If the are the same, reverse or rotate it. Or if you made your own extension cables, it may be reversed. If you cables and plugs are good....try the snubber as suggested. If you don't have one, add a incandescent bulb, string or even a plug-in air fresher to the end.

Thanks Kevin,

I have made all my cords. so would you suggest that i flip the male side, meaning on the male said flip the wire so it sits on the other prong? or do this on the male and female sides?

do you see any issues with having 2 controllers plugged into a 4 way that produces 1 extension cord, then plugging the 1 extension cord into the outlet in my garage? maybe its not enough power to shut them off?

It doesn't matter which side you flip. But when you make your cables, you don't want to cross over your wires. Since you say you made your cables, I'm assuming you used zip cord and vampire plugs? Make sure that the small prong on the male end is connected to the small slot on the female end. Same with the larger prong/slot. You can verify by using a meter and doing a continuity test.

As for multi controllers to 1 outlet....I don't see an issue at all. We all do it. Just make sure your not over drawing power. If using LEDs....not likely. Check the outlet to make sure your hot/neutral are correct. For my house, hot is the small slot and neutral larger slot. Also check the extension cord even if it's store bought. Make sure nothing crossed. Is your extension cord gauge from your garage to the controllers large enough to handle the power, ect, ect.

It doesn't matter which side you flip. But when you make your cables, you don't want to cross over your wires. Since you say you made your cables, I'm assuming you used zip cord and vampire plugs? Make sure that the small prong on the male end is connected to the small slot on the female end. Same with the larger prong/slot. You can verify by using a meter and doing a continuity test.

As for multi controllers to 1 outlet....I don't see an issue at all. We all do it. Just make sure your not over drawing power. If using LEDs....not likely. Check the outlet to make sure your hot/neutral are correct. For my house, hot is the small slot and neutral larger slot. Also check the extension cord even if it's store bought. Make sure nothing crossed. Is your extension cord gauge from your garage to the controllers large enough to handle the power, ect, ect.

yes, i did make my cords from SPT2 wire and vamp plugs. im pretty confident i made them correctly as you described above. but i will double check. The fact that so many strings are staying on makes me think i might need to flip sides. currenly i take the side of the cord with the white writing and connect to the larger prong on the male side that says "white" and on the larger opening of the female side.

Hold on. BSM, these cords you made. Are these going from the wall outlet to the controller. Or controller to the LED lights? If this is the power cable going to the the controller from the wall outlet. Then I can tell you that this is your problem. You do not want to get the power lead that feeds the controller reversed. This is even dangerous to you. What this does is to make the unswitched neutral hot all of the time. Now here is where the capacity coupling steps in and due to the low current requirements of LEDs this coupled current to the earth ground. This is just enough to make the LEDs glow. If the ground gets wet the LEDs will be brighter yet.

Use only polarized cords to supply power to your controllers. And if in doubt, get a socket tester that tells you that your outlet was wired properly. I have seen hots and neutrals reversed on outlets. I am an electrician and got in a hurry my first year. Only had a non polarized plug and wired it up. Gee guess what? I was fighting this ghost light too. It took for it to rain before it made sense to me once the lights got brighter. Flipped the first plug in the outlet and all of my light quit acting weird.

Hold on. BSM, these cords you made. Are these going from the wall outlet to the controller. Or controller to the LED lights? If this is the power cable going to the the controller from the wall outlet. Then I can tell you that this is your problem. You do not want to get the power lead that feeds the controller reversed. This is even dangerous to you. What this does is to make the unswitched neutral hot all of the time. Now here is where the capacity coupling steps in and due to the low current requirements of LEDs this coupled current to the earth ground. This is just enough to make the LEDs glow. If the ground gets wet the LEDs will be brighter yet.

Use only polarized cords to supply power to your controllers. And if in doubt, get a socket tester that tells you that your outlet was wired properly. I have seen hots and neutrals reversed on outlets. I am an electrician and got in a hurry my first year. Only had a non polarized plug and wired it up. Gee guess what? I was fighting this ghost light too. It took for it to rain before it made sense to me once the lights got brighter. Flipped the first plug in the outlet and all of my light quit acting weird.

Max Paul:

The cords i made are being ran from the LED string to the controller(channel).

For the power source of the actual controllers, i  took each power cord (2 per box) 4 total and plugged them into a 4 unit from Home depot. that unit has one orange cord coming out. i took that cord, attached a longer orange store bought cord and plugged it into the wall outlet.

do you feel thats enough juice to plug all 4 controller cords into one?

Tried a string of Incans to the end and it didnt change, still a light glow

Did you plug any lights directly into the controller....no ext cable and see if you get the same glow? Pick the same channel your having issues with. If still glow, looking like a bad triac. Try both your led and Incan strings.

Edited by CLD Kevin