Light-O-Rama Forums

USB-RS485 Alternatives

fulldeck

So this year I purchased some CCPs and some dumb RGB controllers for my light show and having been real busy with work, didn't get it all setup together until today and discovered I can't mix old & new controllers on the same network and talk 500s for new lights.  I plan on ordering the USB485-HS next day air but with it being the weekend, it might not show until mid-week.  For the old controllers, could I use a USB to Serial adapter and directly tie into the ethernet cable to run the 2 old controllers for a temporary fix ( hardware example )?  This way I can run my show today and save $50 on shipping it next day.

I'm not completely certain on the specs or how that would be configured in the software, so any guidance or suggestions would be helpful.

Desperate, 

Shane

So this year I purchased some CCPs and some dumb RGB controllers for my light show and having been real busy with work, didn't get it all setup together until today and discovered I can't mix old & new controllers on the same network and talk 500s for new lights.  I plan on ordering the USB485-HS next day air but with it being the weekend, it might not show until mid-week.  For the old controllers, could I use a USB to Serial adapter and directly tie into the ethernet cable to run the 2 old controllers for a temporary fix ( hardware example )?  This way I can run my show today and save $50 on shipping it next day.

I'm not completely certain on the specs or how that would be configured in the software, so any guidance or suggestions would be helpful.

Desperate, 

Shane

You still need a USB485 or Serial Port Adapter of some sort  in the mix to communicate with the controllers.

trans_1x1.gif

You still need a USB485 or Serial Port Adapter of some sort  in the mix to communicate with the controllers.

trans_1x1.gif

I realize this, hence the post.  Do you have details on something I may find locally to get by since my order through light-o-rama wouldn't get here until Tuesday or Wednesday.  I have dropped the speed down to 115.4k and they all work but the effects on CCP are terrible with artifacts.  

I'm extremely frustrated because the typically layouts didn't articulate the speed differences in this type of setup.

Shane 

As Denny said before: "You still need a USB485 or Serial Port Adapter of some sort in the mix to communicate with the controllers." You won't find anything locally that speaks the LOR language.

The inability to mix older controllers in a high speed USB network has been covered many, many times.

I am a little bit lost with this problem. So I am going to take a blind shot at it. If you have ONE of the LOR USB to RS-485 adapters I believe you are set but hampered. Seeing how you are going to be mixing old controllers with new controllers. You only have one option, Everything has to be set to the slower speed of 57K. Nothing can be set for the 500K speed. Then when the new adapter arrives. Split off the new controllers and put them on the high speed network. And take each newer high speed controller and change the speed it communicates at.

• The topic was locked