Light-O-Rama Forums

Phantom Light issue

Tim R

I have 6 each CTB16PC controllers that were used in last years show, I had zero issues with them, all daisy chained with CAT5 wire,  This year I added

2 each of the CMB24 controllers to my system.  I have one CTB16PC unit with one channel stuck on, and 2 channels on one of my CMB24 that are lit up

20%,  The 2 channels of RGB will stay lit even if I unplug that unit from the power supply,  or if I unplug the cat5 cable from that CMB24 unit the light turns

off on the CTB16PC and that controller then runs normal, I then bypassed that CMB24 box with the cat5 cable and everything works normal. So I believe the

problem is with this CMB24 controller, RIght?,   I have changed out the Cat5 cable, double checked that my wires are correct from the transformer to the

board, I dont see anything wrong, I built it like the other CMB24 board, that work perfect.  So Im stumped, Is the new board damaged? It works great on

the Utility.  all of them work on the utility.  I have unplugged my computer from the Cat5 cable and it does the same thing,  It almost seems like I have 

some sort of power source going thru my comm cable to be able to partially light up 2 strips of RGB even when the board is unplugged.

I hope someone has already came across this in the past,  any Ideas?

A couple of thoughts. Reset the controller as per the instruction book. Run your sequences through the verifier as you may have a conflict. If it works in the HU then I don't think its the board... It's communication. I know you said you checked them but don't rule out a bad cat 5.

Hook up one controller run a sequence....work good? Add the second... Work? Keep going until all work OK or you find the bad cat 5.

Thanks Jim,  I ran the verifier last night, no issues found, I also reset the board, same issues.   I am going to purchase some new Cat5 cables today since I do not have any extra long ones laying around, then try your last Idea.

I will post what I find.

I finally was able to take a closer look on Thursday of the controller, and discovered a thin piece of stranded wire laying on top of the CTB16 board,  near the channel terminal that was stuck on, must have been allowing a low amount of power to cross over. I am glad it didn't short out the board, or cause anything else to happen to it.

It was such a thin gauge of wire, that you had to look at it very closely to see it.

Thanks for your help Jim,  I was replacing the Cat5 cable to it when I discovered it.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked