Light-O-Rama Forums

Help. One of my ports stopped working.

packen

Two of my controllers (CTB16PCg3)have one of the cat5 ports stopped working. I had everything hooked up in the house and working fine. I moved it out, hooked it all back up and now on my #1 and #2 controllers, only one of the cat5 ports work. I've tried different cables but still no go. I have 4 controllers so I need to be able to use these ports. Any ideas on what to do? I was hoping to fire it all up this weekend.

Take a good look at the pins on the RJ-45 connectors.  One of the more common causes of this is one or more of the pins gets moved out of position.  You should see 8 little wires that are nice and parallel.  If one is crossed over to the next position, carefully take a small hook (and hook bent from a small paperclip works) and move the wire back in position.  If you see one that's wrong, it will be obvious that it's wrong and what needs to happen to make it right.

I have noticed that there is also a place to hook a phone line. Is it possible to use a phone line instead of cat5?

Or would it be possible to use a splitter plugged into the one good port?

Edited by packen

ok, as I further looked, there are half the pins that didnt come back up. So, i've been working trying to get them up but not having much luck. Anybody had this problem before and what did you use to bend the pins back up?

I have noticed that there is also a place to hook a phone line. Is it possible to use a phone line instead of cat5?

Or would it be possible to use a splitter plugged into the one good port?

Yes, you can use a phone line rather than a cat5e cable. 

It's not recommended to use a splitter, but you can't hurt anything by trying it. I've had success with a splitter for a different reason.

Steve

Remember, there is DC power, distributed by two of those pins. Don't probe in there while the power is on and make sure you don't short any pins out.

I have  had a USB adaptor fried by stuck pins in the past

It took a couple of hours but I finally got them back out and working. I hope it doesn't happen again. It was a pain. Thanks to all that replied.

• The topic was locked