Light-O-Rama Forums

dmx adaptor drops out

rmturner54

I have a entec pro dongle operating a small universe. A long with my lor channels. This is the same setup for the last 2 yrs. What i am seeing this yr is the adator wiil stay connected all day long while zara radio plays music. When the show starts the com listner shows that the adaptor has dropped off. IIcan unplug and plug the usb cable back in while the show is running and it will reconnect.

I have never heard of this happening, but I would think maybe a different usb port would help? Sometimes that re does the drivers and just resets some things that might make it work better for you again. Make sure you select the correct com port if you do this. 

Do some searching on USB ports and them going to sleep.  I had a motherboard a few years back that had some flakiness like this and I ended up tossing for an off the shelf Dell.

I am sorry I have not gotten back to this since the initial post. I work offshore and this issue was noticed the night before I left to come back to work. I have e-mailed my wife to look at the computer 

the next time the show is running and write down exactly what it says in the com listner.

I had a similar problem and tried various solutions. I solved the problem by changing the power adapter to my laptop to a higher wattage adapter. The problem apparently had to do with slight power fluctuations, like when the clothes dryer comes on. The drop in power to the computer is enough to cause the computer to drop out some USB devices. Eventually, I switched to a newer laptop which seems to have a more stable power situation. Hope this helps.

Edited by PCRail

Thanks everyone for the ideas to look at when I get home. My wife , when she thinks about it will unplug the adaptor while the show is running to get the dmx lights back on. she keeps forgetting to read the screen in the com listner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made it home from another long 3 weeks offshore. After my wife reset the adaptor by unplugging it, the thing has not dropped since. No idea what caused the issue, just gonna

look on at it as a christmas present and move on. Cant fix something that isnt broke.