Light-O-Rama Forums

What would you do next?

Dave Sanderson

I have what is undoubtedly an "operator error" and don't know what to do next in trying to find the problem. Any ideas anybody?

Basically I'm getting a couple of mini trees coming on consistently at one point in the show and I can't figure out why. Here's what I've checked...

I have confirmed, using Hardware Utility, that the trees light up on the channel and controller as I've assigned it. I made a sheet listing all controllers and wrote in beside each one what each channel controlled to make sure I didn't have duplicate assignments anywhere in the system. I physically checked to make sure the lights/trees in question were physically plugged in where I thought they were.

In the sequence editor I turned those lights on, then off again, in case something had hung up. The trees/lights DO NOT light up in the animation screen when I play back the show. But they continue to light up outside on the real trees.

I'm running LOR I and haven't upgraded or changed a thing since it ran last year. I did add three new controllers into the mix this year, none of which are directly involved with the lights in question.

I know it's some stupid little thing I haven't found or thought of. If you were me, what would you do or check next? TIA

You said you checked your paperwork, but did you check your actual sequences?

I had channels acting funny this year, and realized that while my paperwork was corrected, I accidently assigned channels wrong. That would be the first thing I'd check.

Do you have any background sequences? If so, I would check to make sure you don't have those channels assigned in your background sequence.

Also, if you want, you can send me the sequence file and I'll take a look at it for you. (I think you have my email.)

Does the sequence have a bunch of fading going on when you notice the misbehaving trees? LOR does have a bug that occurs with certain kinds of fades that will turn on other channels.

Don, you are the best, as you bailed me out twice last season. I have, in fact, double checked the things you mentioned for the reasons you mentioned. I really appreciate the ideas, because I figured I was missing something simple I thought I had right.

I suspect I'm dealing with the bug Brian mentions. I have everything faded to 25% except two trees who are "talking" to each other. Then at a point during that section the three trees come on and stay on, none of which shows up on the animation screen or in the programming.

Brian, is there any workaround to the bug that you're aware of, or other recommended fix? It's not the end of the world, but looks kind of silly and, of course, drives me nuts more than anybody else. :)

Thank you gents.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dave,

What version of LOR are you using? The fade bug that Brian was talking about is fixed in the more recent versions.

That's probably it, Dan. (insert embarrassed emoticon here). I'm using 1.5.0. But will update tomorrow before the show starts. And THANK YOU for the thought.

Now, before I get either laughed off, or flat-out banned, from the board, let me at least defend my logic. See I figured that once I got things going last year -- with some critical help from Don, who I still owe big time -- I figured I wouldn't touch a thing this year and risk messing anything up until I install LORII a month or so from now. Not being an engineer what I didn't consider is that fact that I wasn't exactly leaving everyting alone. I produced all new sequences. Duh, on me.

Thanks again to all, and I'll upgrade tomorrow, likely fixing the problem.

Dave Sanderson wrote:

I figured I wouldn't touch a thing this year and risk messing anything up until I install LORII a month or so from now. Not being an engineer what I didn't consider is that fact that I wasn't exactly leaving everyting alone. I produced all new sequences. Duh, on me.

Thanks again to all, and I'll upgrade tomorrow, likely fixing the problem.

I'm still running 1.5 on the 'show' machine. :D