Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL signal corruption

chipwdw

ok, have an issue with ELL signal. i have 2 controllers on the ELL in question- they run my arches. they are about 50' from each of the other ELL's (2others in set up), the controllers are in a wood box on ground, the ELL is mounted outside the box facing the other ELL. 3rd yr with this set up, thought i was having a controller isuue when i noticed the arches 'having issues' - all sorts of weird stuff going on, but not all the time. had dealt with it, but noticed this year during set up that the main power feed for my house and neighbors probably runs directly under where these controllers/ELL are at. Power is under ground so cant see exactly, but could this cause a bad signal? switched out ELL's, worked fine when in gargage, works fine when i hardwired a cat5 out to them, niether of the others is having issues. just wanting confirmation of my guess that the power feed is corrupting signal. planning on running cat5 to fix  (guess need another controller for that ELL!!! LOL)

I doubt the power feed underground is your issue.  I would guess more likely that they are not off the ground themselves.  Radio antennas don't necessarily like being that close to the ground.. If it worked in the past you may have just been lucky and the placement was "just so" that they worked, and most likely marginally..

I use ELLs to run all my LOR controllers and I have no issue with them but my feed is on the second story and the receivers are 2-3' off the ground.. all except one.  it is about 12" off the ground but right below the main transmitter. 

Try raising them up a couple of feet just for yucks and see if that doesn't fix the problem. 

I too run my display off a number of ELL's.  Have had very few problems until last year, where I added a controller that was 100 feet from the computer transmit unit (through aluminum siding).  Seemed to always go out (flashing LED on controller) Saturdays at about 8 in the evening.  Found out a neighbor had an old cordless phone and was calling Japan at that time.  This controller was closer to his house and the phone interfered with the LOR data.  The ELL's use the 900 MHZ ISM band, and there are a lot of other things there too.  Try moving to another channel - you have to do that to ALL ELL's.  Also put power level to max.  I wish the hardware utility had a "listen" function to see what channels are quiet (RF wise) in my area.

I too run my display off a number of ELL's.  snip..... .  I wish the hardware utility had a "listen" function to see what channels are quiet (RF wise) in my area.

GREAT IDEA!  send it to LOR

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for th input, after trying a few things and not really fixing the problem, i ran a cat5 (wasnt too far) and will try few more after the season is over. didnt want to raise, as its out in front of display and for visual and security (didnt want to temp someone to mess with it).  thanks again guys