Light-O-Rama Forums

Fried Controllers - Fried USB4865 - NEED HELP

tomskillman

I have a major problem with my LOR controllers. I love the LOR stuff and have invested quite a bit. I have 112 channels (6 - 16 channel D's and 2 8 Channel boards) I recently had a problem that I thought was my control PC. I rebooted it and it wouldn't boot. I can't even read the hard disk. OK - the drive died....then I hook up to a different PC...nothing works. I go outside and find my last card (#7 - only using 7 of 8 controllers right now) burnt up - see photo last controller.jpg. I remove that one from the chain and still can't find any controllers. After looking at all of the controllers, it appears my other 8 channel card (#1 in the chain) also has a burn spot - see 1st controller photo. I hooked up each of my controllers individually and the status light continues to blink. I tried the reset by settting unit ID to 00 and still no help. Oh yeah, it also fried my USB485, but I have a serial version as well. I hooked that up to a known good controller and it finds that one just fine. Any ideas??

Thanks for your assistance - i'm beginning to believe there will be no display this year...

Tom Skillman
tom@skillmanfamily.net

Attached files 144492=8552-controllers.jpg

Looks like a lightening strike to me.

Edit:

On your last board I see that you dont have some of the neutral wires hooked to the board. What is that about...are the neutrals tied in some place else or what? could this be part of your problem and cause the circuits to short out?

Anthony

I would contact support@lor.com or call them. They are always interested when a controller has a problem like this. Just in case it was a component failure. But it could very well be a lightening strike. Or some how 110v got crossed with a data cable somewhere some how via a short. Check every thing. All wire and data cables.

I have been in contact with Dan. I cross-posted to the forum so I could get the quickest response. Dan asked me to replace the comm chip with the one board that I have that is good. I did that last night and replied to him. It seems the damage involves the comm chip but has gone beyond that. Replacing the comm chip causes the light to stop flashing, but hardware still won't identify the board.

Thanks for the replies - feel free to keep shooting out ideas!

Tom Skillman

Hmm, that last board looks pretty damaged. i would think some of the circuit traces may be burnt to the point of open circuit and will not be repairable. hard to tell from here.

But the first board looks like it need a few components replaced and should get back online. Again hard to tell what from pictures and not being able to do circuit tests.

fire_paramedic wrote:

Hmm, that last board looks pretty damaged. i would think some of the circuit traces may be burnt to the point of open circuit and will not be repairable. hard to tell from here.

But the first board looks like it need a few components replaced and should get back online. Again hard to tell what from pictures and not being able to do circuit tests.

Hey Fire...

That would be at LEAST a one alarm assignment on that one..