Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Arch Connectivity Issue (Duplicate Channels Daisy Chained)

AndrewB

We have set up 2 groups of 6 CCR arches on two AUX networks (E & F).  CCR Controller Channel IDs 41-46 on each network.  The 6 arches work as expected on both AUX networks. When we attempt to daisy chain a duplicate of these channels down the line, the first set stop working correctly. They will lock up in place or stay lit in spots, and some on the second set work sporadically.

This works fine:

PC > AUX E > E41 > E42 > E43 > E44 > E45 > E46

PC > AUX F > F41 > F42 > F43 > F44 > F45 > F46

When we attempt to add another set of duplicate channels down the line, there's problems:

PC > AUX E > E41 > E42 > E43 > E44 > E45 > E46 > E41 > E42 > E43 > E44 > E45 > E46

PC > AUX F > F41 > F42 > F43 > F44 > F45 > F46 > F41 > F42 > F43 > F44 > F45 > F46

The Cat5e from the PC to the first controllers on E & F is about 1000 feet, but without the duplicate channels, it is working fine. We have a mega tree that is connected to the controller PC that is duplicating channels for front and back and is working fine.  The tree is even further away from the controller PC.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You didn't mention what speeds your networks run.  Anything less than 500K and it looks like you've got way too many channels on each network.

Especially since you running quite long RS-485 cables, do you have a termination at the last controller?

You didn't mention what speeds your networks run.  Anything less than 500K and it looks like you've got way too many channels on each network.

These are  running on 500K with the new, red, USB adapters.

Especially since you running quite long RS-485 cables, do you have a termination at the last controller?

No, the connections just run to the last controller.  Is this something that LOR sells?

EDIT: Is something like this what you're referring to? http://www.icpdas-usa.com/sg_785.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1qajBRC_6MO49cqDxbYBEiQAiCl5_FoGI0uf5x6kdamjAYlEiH2_zEKHf-GZwClSISoeC9oaApzE8P8HAQ

Edited by AndrewB

No.  It's just a 120 ohm resistor at the end of the string.  Normally plugged into the 2nd RJ-45 port on the last controller.  See this thread http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/8769-some-channels-come-on-and-stay-on/#entry73202

Read post #5 for detailed instructions with photos in post #7

• Like 1

No.  It's just a 120 ohm resistor at the end of the string.  Normally plugged into the 2nd RJ-45 port on the last controller.  See this thread http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/8769-some-channels-come-on-and-stay-on/#entry73202

Read post #5 for detailed instructions with photos in post #7

Excellent, I'm on my way to Radio Shack now.  Thanks!  I'll report back how this worked.

Excellent, I'm on my way to Radio Shack now.  Thanks!  I'll report back how this worked.

Insta-fix.  Plugged one each into the end of the run on both AUX E & F and all arches are now working perfectly.  Thank you very much!

Would have been a couple $ fix If I didn't have to buy a variety pack of resistors as my local RS store did not carry 1/8W 120 Ohm resistors individually.  Still, under $15 total.

Well hot damn! Glad that worked. The tip off was your long cable runs, and the problem showed up with even longer runs. The spec for RS-485 is to be terminated, but we generally get away without the terminations in part because most of us are not running really long cable runs, and at not all that fast of a data speed. You are running long cable runs and at a higher speed, and it was just too much. With the terminations, it sounds like the data is happy!

• The topic was locked