Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter, driving me crazy!

Para

Friday I found another cause for a distorted sound.

On one of my work benches in the garage I have my FM transmitter, Laptop and boom box playing music from the transmitter.

Friday I was assigning numbers to my LOR controller boxes.

If the LOR controller was within ten feet of the work bench it created distortion.

As soon as the controller was powered up the music was inaudible.

I know absolutely nothing about transmitters and how they work.  However, I built an Ramsey FM25B kit when I first got into this addiction seven years ago and it worked flawlessly - until this year.  For some reason, I was getting a lot of distortion and static.  Tried moving the transmitter to different locations, shortening the antenna, etc.  Nothing worked.  I found the old manual and in the troubleshooting section, it states, "A terribly distorted sound is a sign of too much audio level.  Simply rotate the level potentiometers Rxx and Rxx, CCW to reduce the level.  Make sure you rotate each one about the same amount to maintain proper stereo balance."  I had to take open up the case to do the adjustment, but it worked and sounds great now.  Don't know if your manual addresses which pots control the audio level, but it might be worth investigating.

Sounds like something cause the power level to drop. New transmitter took care of that . Sorry to hear you has to spend money on a new transmitter and not lights. I understand that thought.

Sounds like something cause the power level to drop. New transmitter took care of that . Sorry to hear you has to spend money on a new transmitter and not lights. I understand that thought.

New transmitter is crystal clear....not bad for $60, now to repair the old one for a back up

• The topic was locked