Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter, driving me crazy!

Para

I have a 0.5 W FAIL-SAFE LONG RANGE FM TRANSMITTER- CZH-05B http://www.pcworld.com/product/pg/1121651859/detail

I initially used http://radio-locator.com/ to try and find a good freq or at least get me in the right ballpark. This didnt bring me any success. Next I went through all radio freq's one-by-one, looking for an open freq, which i managed to find about 6.

I went through each one and was able to get some kind of audio but it was still very distorted. I dragged my sone off of the XBox and had him move around with the transmitter, stand on one foot while touching his nose and sticking his tongue out. We tried this with all useable freq's. We found 2 that were promising so i drove up and down the street, thinking it might get better, but never did.

Ive been at this for about a week now and feel like the only option left if to buy a different transmitter.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A little more information on distorted would help.... But I'll take a shot at it. Is the sound coming from your computer sound card? Try turning the sound on your computer down.... I don't set mine higher than 50%. Is it buzzing? Try plugging it in to a different outlet on a different circuit.

A little more information on "distorted" can help us help you better. How is it hooked up? What kind of cables to what... That kind of thing.

My first suspicion would also be the quality (or gain) of the input signal. This presumes you've NEVER (for even a second) powered the transmitter without first connecting the antenna.

That model of transmitter is excellent.

A little more information on distorted would help.... But I'll take a shot at it. Is the sound coming from your computer sound card? Try turning the sound on your computer down.... I don't set mine higher than 50%. Is it buzzing? Try plugging it in to a different outlet on a different circuit. A little more information on "distorted" can help us help you better. How is it hooked up? What kind of cables to what... That kind of thing.

By distorted i mean, you can hear the song, but the static of the open freq is still heard over the song. The sound is coming from my computer's soundcard via the headphone jack. I tried adjusting the sound from 30% > 100% with no joy. I also made sure the volume knob on the transmitter wasnt up to high (pointing at the top left screw on the front of the case). Ive tried different power outlets and audio cables (from computer headphone jack to transmitter audio port, all with the same results.

What kind of antenna are you using?

The default one that comes with the transmitter pmyJtRJ.png

This presumes you've NEVER (for even a second) powered the transmitter without first connecting the antenna.

CORRECT! - When researching transmitters, i found this to be the number 1 golden rule.

If it helps, ill try put together a short video of the setup and what is actually happening.

Edited by Para

Ok, so it looks like it has been established that you did not for even a second powered up without the antenna. There are some other factors. Where is your transmitter in reference to the street? If you where Superman and had X-ray eyes. Looking from the transmitter to the street. Is there a refrigerator or cold air duct between the transmitter and street? Steel garage door? Are you in the basement and the transmitter sits on the floor? Have you played around with the audio out level of your computer? Start with a low level audio level and increase the audio out volume to the transmitter. Oh and BTW some of these transmitters have a mic and line level inputs. Make sure your in the line level input. play around and test different volume levels. BTW you do realize that a clear air frequency at day time might have a south of the boarder transmitter come rolling in at night. Got to do your testing at night, say about 7pm or 8 pm

I can get a signal farther than I need to using the rubber ducky antenna that comes with the transmitter. If all else fails, contact the seller. I suppose it's possible there could be something wrong that warrants a return/exchange.

Max - South of the boarder? Do you mean someone from S Carolina is hijacking the frequency?

max is right, I get "S Carolina" sometimes in the evening, too

Para -

I thought I had a lemon when I first got mine, hopefully its the same thing that is tripping you up......

Have you tried this:

After you set your Hi/low, you press the power button - you ARE NOT transmitting at this point. You then set the range, say 107.9 for the hi, then press power button again and then you set your low, say 88.1 - Then press power button again for 3 seconds, it displays "OFF" then press power button again and then you should be transmitting.

It sounds like you tried most everything already, I only mention this because this is what had me cursing for a few hours.

I then set my PC volume to 25% and the input level on the transmitter at 75%, works great for me there.

Does the transmitter work for sure? Stand close to the transmitter with a portable radio. Is it clear? This will at least narrow down your issue as to whether it's environmental or the transmitter.

Well George, from Mo we can hear spanish speaking stations at night. Its amazing how radio waves bend at night. I once was mobile on 145.55 with 45 watts on a hill. Was talking to a fellow in Ohio.

I had the same issue.  Close to Philly and NY there aren't many open stations to play with.  I built a j pole antenna and problem solved.  Now I have to be careful about turning up the power.

I played some more with my adjustments...and wahlah!!!!!it started working. I dont know if a potentiometer was dirty or what. Not going to argue with sucess.

Then we came this evening after going out to dinner. The sound on the radio was horrible. The background rumbling noise was so loud you could barley hear the music.

Edited by rmturner54