Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Editor Wiring Problems

Ralph A

When trying to program dumb 3 channel DMX controllers with the DMX Editor from DIY LED Express.  I can not get it read the controller.  The instructions that come with it (i.e. DMX Editor) does not tell you which wire color from the programer is which.  There are three, Red, Black and Yellow.  I assumed that Red was Data+, Blue Data-, and Yellow Ground.  Anyway, tried switching all wires in different combinations and I continue to get the same message "Error"

Has anyone used this that may be able to tell me what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks Ralph

Something is mixed up.  Dumb strings use 4 wires  (often Black or White , Red, blue & Green,

Smart pixels use 3 or 4 wire (power, ground, Data and some Clock).  Colors are all over the place if from china.

Hi Jerry, thanks for the reply.  You are correct. There are four wires on the output side of the DMX module, but only three going in on the signal side, then of course two more going in for the power.  

I have learned that the black wire on the input side is rarely used in what we do.  You are correct about the wire colors from china.  I waiting for one that starts out one color and ends up another on the other end.  Can call it RGB, wire!

• The topic was locked