Light-O-Rama Forums

Configure PC for E1.31

Denny

I have been using my laptop outside to test my set up, including two pixel trees.  The laptop does not have the power to run my show, so I am setting up my desk top to run the show.  I set up the E1.31 network on the laptop quite a while ago, but for some reason, I am having problems on the desktop. Does anyone know of any links to instructions to configure the PC network for E1.31?  Here is the procedure from my earlier notes when I set up the laptop.  Since it's not working this time, I must be missing a step or two.  The PC and laptop both run Windows 7.

1.  Open network and sharing center

2.  Select the network connection that will have the controllers.

3.  Click on the properties tab.

4.  Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

5.  Manually set the IP address.  My ECG-P12R address is 10.10.10.10 and my E682 is 10.10.10.11 so I enter 10.10.10.1

6.  Enter 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask

USB485B is connected and the listener is working.  Using 2 LOR networks and 2 USB485b's, but I wouldn't think that should make a difference.  LOR networks work fine, just can't get the E1.31 network set up on the PC.

Did you set up the E1.31 in the DMX window under network properties?

Sure did, but, and a very big BUT, after working on the problem for another five hours today -- changing cables, switches, etc., I think I found my error.  Really stupid mistake, first year mistake.  Embarrassed to mention it after 7 years of LOR, but I was using the sequence editor to check everything and I forgot to check "CONTROL LIGHTS!"  After over-analyzing, pulling out what little hair I have, I didn't see the forest for the trees.  I am by no means an expert, but a definitely humbling experience.  Will know tonight if that was the only problem as I am going for broke tonight and running the whole program as a show.

Oops!

Don't feel bad Bro, I think maybe all of have done that. I always over-analyze things. It's usually something simple. Let us know if it worked.

• Like 1

Ran a test show tonight and no problems on the E1.31 - and I spent three hours last night and another five hours this morning because I forgot to check a box.  Think I need to write a checklist of lessons learned for next year!  And Max-Paul, sensitive subject, just turned 67 TODAY!  Amazing how much older I feel today than yesterday.  Some how, 67 really sounds a lot older than 66!

Have another question about video, but will start a new thread; I want to forget all about this one.

Edited by Denny

Denny,, sorry I am 56 and I have always had something of the absent minded professor thing going all of my life. Didnt mean to rub a sore spot. Was trying to point out we all seem to have some of that CRS going on.

Denny,, sorry I am 56 and I have always had something of the absent minded professor thing going all of my life. Didnt mean to rub a sore spot. Was trying to point out we all seem to have some of that CRS going on.

No offense was taken; was just trying to be sarcastic.  For some reason, 67 seems to sound a heck of a lot older than 66.  This hobby actually helps keep me going, really good exercise for the grey matter, planning, doing math calculations, TROUBLE SHOOTING, etc.  Have to laugh at my wife though; whenever I am on the roof or up the ladder for the mega tree, she sits in the yard with her cell phone at the ready to dial 911.  The hobby is good for our relationship too.  She is really involved in the planning each year, paints all the cutouts (we have well over 100).  Our display covers the 210 feet in front of the house and includes a mega tree, 20 foot "ping pong ball" pixel tree (fun task putting holes in 1008 ping pong balls) and a 20 foot ribbon tree. 

Edited by Denny

No offense was taken; was just trying to be sarcastic.  For some reason, 67 seems to sound a heck of a lot older than 66.  This hobby actually helps keep me going, really good exercise for the grey matter, planning, doing math calculations, TROUBLE SHOOTING, etc.  Have to laugh at my wife though; whenever I am on the roof or up the ladder for the mega tree, she sits in the yard with her cell phone at the ready to dial 911.  The hobby is good for our relationship too.  She is really involved in the planning each year, paints all the cutouts (we have well over 100).  Our display covers the 210 feet in front of the house and includes a mega tree, 20 foot "ping pong ball" pixel tree (fun task putting holes in 1008 ping pong balls) and a 20 foot ribbon tree. 

Thousands of lights, many $$$s

Thousands of channels, many $$$s

Countless hours sequencing, Many hours,

Having a wife with a sense of humor, PRICELESS.

Thanks for the laugh today.

• Like 1

Got a grin on my face reading about the wife and phone. Mine only comes out now and then to check up on me. Shoot I would have bled out by the time she comes out again. Well I suppose drilling all of those holes keeps you out of trouble. LOL

Got a grin on my face reading about the wife and phone. Mine only comes out now and then to check up on me. Shoot I would have bled out by the time she comes out again. Well I suppose drilling all of those holes keeps you out of trouble. LOL

Another good laugh. Thanks Max.

Another good laugh. Thanks Max.

Just goes to prove my theory that the older you get, the more warped your sense of humor becomes!

• Like 1

is your E1.31 bridge directly connected to your pc or is it connected using your LAN, I plan to use E1.31 this year and would like to connect it using my LAN so i don't have to connect the board and pc using cat 5 up three stories. If i use my LANi would just connect the board down stairs and pc upstairs. does this sound right

thanks