Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help redesigning horizontal matrix...

chowell

Last year, I built my 12 CCR horizontal matrix out of 1/2" pvc.  I had to lift it up on the roof so I wanted to keep it as light as possible.  It worked great all in all last year but as the frame sat all year, it is now kind of bent and tweaked in various spots because the 1/2" just isn't rigid enough.  I want to rebuild it this year to improve on it.  I am thinking about using 1" or larger but building a sub frame.....A main frame to put up on the roof first, but then a frame that the ribbons will zip tie on to and mount to that frame.  That way I can go heavier on materials and put it together on the roof.  What I would like to do is be able to mount the ribbons to individual pieces that I could just set in place up on the roof to the sub frame.....I am not sure just how though.....My vertical spacing for the ribbons is 4.5" so using pvc tees for horizontal pieces is out of the question....too many cuts and weak spots.  Can anyone think of what I might mount the ribbons to, and then how those would mount to the PVC sub frame?

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Stop by Home Depot or if you have a metal supply store.  Can't think of the exact name at the moment  but it is a fairly light weight angle iron with holes in it (expanded metal type). They are VERY rigid and  a lot lighter than angle iron.  you can bolt them together for longer lengths  (they come in 2,4,6 & 8 feet and at a metal supply store likely even longer). You could even zip tie 1/2 PVC to them.

I had the same problem and ended up welding aluminum frames with 1/2 inch strips... They are 12 ft x 4 ft with 16 Pixel strips each... A lot better to handle than last years PVC frames

• The topic was locked