Light-O-Rama Forums

What to do when there is nowhere for people to park and watch?

Klayfish

So, as I put together my meager 2014 show, I'm looking forward to 2015.  As I've mentioned in other posts, we moved from PA to Atlanta a few months back.  We purchased new construction in a sub-division.  It's currently under construction, due to be complete in late January.  For this year, we're in a rental in one of those subdivisions where the houses are 10 feet apart and have no front yard (and a very small back one too).  I didn't want to redesign everything for just this year as next year we'll be back to having more property.  I'm just going to throw together what I can fit and let it fly.  It'll still be cool, and the kids will still love it. 

Anyhow, I digress.  My question....our new house will have enough land to let me expand back out like I had in PA, so I'm excited about that.  But one thing I overlooked, which my wife just pointed out...there is nowhere for people to park.  We're in a mega-subdivision (900+ homes in total).  However, we're tucked back and away.  We live off a cul-de-sac.  So imagine your typical cul-de-sac, shaped almost like a loli-pop.  Just as the stick meets the loli-pop, imagine a little pathway shooting off at a 90 degree angle from the stick.  That's where we're going to be.  The road isn't even called a road, it's called a "path".  There will be three houses.  One on each side, and one at the very end.  We're on one side.  The path is not wide enough for two cars to go side by side, so it will be 100% impractical for people to drive and stop in front of my display. 

For those of you with similar issues, what is your solution?  Do you simply just play the music on speakers outside?  I could do that, and while I don't care per se if it bugs the neighbors, I don't want to intentionally annoy them.  Any other solutions people use? 

Edited by Klayfish

I don't know what "play music on speakers outside" is going to do for you.

If your using an FM transmitter, I don't think hearing the music will be your problem.

The problem will be viewing IMHO.

I would create another path (or add on to the existing path) that can be used as the exit, or something like that.

Can you give us an aerial shot of your property to see?

I think this may work...though it's an old picture.  I'm in the little off shoot that goes to the right.  In this picture, my house isn't started yet.  You see one house in framing stages on the left towards the end of the path.  My house is across from it, but slightly up the street towards the main road (you can see where they cleared a narrow path for what is now my driveway).   They've cleared a good portion of those woods, so I have about .75 acres....plus I have all those woods behind me and I plan to add some lights back there.  There will also be one house at the end of that path (i.e. if you drive straight to the end of the path, you'll pull in their driveway).  The way we had them put the house in the plot is such that if you were standing directly in front of my house, there will be some front yard, a little to the right side, but the vast majority will be a wide open space to the left of the house and into the backyard (which is easily visible when standing on the roadway). 

Yes, I'm using an FM transmitter.  Since people can't drive down my road and watch from their car, should I just put a stereo outside and broadcast the music?  My guess is people will park in the circle of the cul-de-sac and walk down my path.

<https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=34.023895,-84.792341&spn=0.001049,0.002064&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6>

Edited by Klayfish

So your thinking folks will park, get out and walk to your display? So that's why the speakers.

I couldn't even guess what folks will do.

Lets hope the "if you build it, they will come" theory kicks in.

One thing I would be concerned about even more. Are there a lot of squirrels and kritters out there that like to chew on light strands/cords?

But I bet the view around there is real pretty with all those trees.

Your "path" might not end up being as narrow as you think.  I would expect there are minimum widths that residential streets need to be, regardless of what they're called.  This has mostly to do with getting emergency equipment (think: fire trucks) in and out.  Older streets and paths that are more narrow might be grandfathered in, but for new construction two 12' lanes is the narrowest paved surface I'd expect to see.

George,

I wish that were true, but alas...that's the path.  One house is already done and occupied and the one that's at the very end of the path settles next week.  So the driveways and curbs are done.  I think two cars may fit side by side if you hug the curb tight, but it's really narrow.  Even if two cars could fit, it's a dead end since the path ends in someone's driveway, so it'd be a nightmare for cars to go in and out.  They'll have to watch on foot.  Thankfully being in Atlanta, it won't be below zero with 20mph winds.

George,

I may be wrong on this but the public street looks to be already paved. It's his personal driveway (his path) that is what's narrow and I'm wondering if there is a city code (if any) for the size driveway/path.

We have a private paved street and no codes for our driveways because of that.

I'm still thinking that widening the path/driveway or build an exit (like a circle drive) on his property is a better bet.

I'm just thinking not many will park and get out of their cars for a light show unless it was an advertised event with lots going on. But that's just me.

Edit: Klay responded while I was typing my response.

Edited by Santas Helper

Klay,

the outdated pic is probably giving us a false view of what is currently in place, like curbs and such. So restrictions to our suggestions is possible or already in place.

Okay, I have got the only solution.

Sell the house and start over so that you don't have to move twice.

It will also be so much easier to sell a new home.............

Sorry, but it is the only solution, I bet your wife will agree

Papa

I cannot imagine the cluster with all people parking in the cul du sac will cause also. Make sure you think it through before pissing off new neighbors you need to live with the other 11 months out of the year.

Edited by LightsinMaine

The picture is outdated on progress on the houses, but it's a 100% true representation of the road.  It's done, finished, not to be changed.  I'm positive of that.  Trust me, I've thought of the idea of making loop that goes on my property and around the house, but the picture doesn't show very well that we're on a hill (we'll have a walk out basement), so it wouldn't be condusive to making a looped driveway behind the house.  Unfortunately, it's just not realistic for people to watch the show from their cars...I'm going to have to think outside the box. 

No, definitely not going to move again.  While I absolutely love my display, the needs and desires of my family take precedent.  I had the perfect spot for my display PA, but we came down here.  And actually we had put a deposit on a plot that would have been better suited for display viewing...it was on a corner in the subdivision, so I would have had a wide wrap-a-round front yard with tons of street parking.  But after walking through the model a few times, the floor plan wasn't what we wanted...and for the other 11 months of the year, we like the privacy this new spot offers.  So this is where we're settling...at least my yard is bigger than most.  In this subdivision, most property sizes are about .25-.33 acres.  We're nearly triple that.

Like I said earlier, it's not my intention to be purposely pissing off the neighbors.  But I've never been one to be overly concerned with their opinions.  If they're mad...they'll get over it.  I've met the folks across the street.  They had a huge Halloween display, and when I mentioned Christmas, they were excited.  So that's good.  I do this display because, like most of you, when I see a kid press his/her face against the car window with a huge smile on their face...and the excitement in my own kids eyes, it makes it all worth it.  This subdivision has 900 houses in it, there must be 1500+ kids as most houses are young families.  If I can make even a small portion of them smile and make their holiday memorable, I don't care how mad the neighbors get.  Yes, it's going to come with it's share of challenges, but I'm determined to find a way to make it happen and make it work.  I'm accepting of the fact that they'll have to view it from foot, but given the constraints I want to come up with the best possible solution.

Edited by Klayfish

Klay,

I can understand your desire for the location. Looks to be a beautiful spot.

And I can also relate to your determination of a light show.

I'm sure you will figure out a way to make it all work in the end. And put smiling faces on the ones around you, and hopefully your neighbors too. :)

Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Good luck,

Tom

It just dawned on me that one thing that may help somewhat is that we're a "golf cart" community.  Not everyone has one, but I would say at least 50% do.  So if folks come in those, it'll be much more practical.  I'll need to think it through a little more logistically, but if it'll work out, then I'll make banners encouraging folks to bring their carts instead of cars.

Edited by Klayfish

Would it be so bad for you to put up the lights for only your own family and neighbors?  Forget about public access, in fact discourage it.   Just enjoy your own lights.

You may have an opportunity for a NEW type of display, setup for a golf cart community. Work on that.

My 2 cents on the speakers - been there made that mistake!!!!!  Neighbors love the display but in no way will they appreciate speakers.  Think FM transmitter, or think Smart phone broadcasting...

Edited by Liberty-Laser

Papa, luckily this is all about my 2015 display, as we don't settle on the house until late January.  For this year, my rental is on a normal subdivision cul-de-sac so I'll set up what I can and not worry about it.  Hopefully the 2015 winter will be an el nino one...or whatever the prevailing winds are to make warm weather.

Liberty, I agree.  Truly, the display is done because I love the hobby and my kids ask year round about what we're going to do, etc...I don't advertise the show.  In fact, my first year, I don't think I had more than a dozen people come watch.  But I get a huge thrill out of seeing the looks on kids faces.  So I guess the best way to say it is that I neither encourage nor discourge it.  If they come, they come.  If they don't, they don't.  I have an FM transmitter and have always been using it.  My thought with the speakers is that people won't be able to sit in their car and listen to FM radio.  I'm not a tech guy at all...I still have a flip phone.  Tell me more about Smart phone broadcasting....  I was trying to think of other ways to allow people to hear it through my FM transmitter if they're not in their cars.

Edited by Klayfish

Another option is to get all your neighbors onboard and sync all the houses to music.  This way all the viewing can be done at any angle.