Light-O-Rama Forums

Wired in circuits

Uqaqti

I'm looking into LOR control for my Halloween and Christmas shows. My roofline lights are plugged into outlets I have installed in my soffits. How do I connect wired circuits into a controller?

To make those work is not going to happen. I also have roofline plugs for back when I did a static display but those are all connected and common to each other. You need to individually control everything and that means extension cords. Lots and lots of extension cords.

You would have to physically remove the circuits from your electrical panel and connect them to the light controller.  I would be more inclined to use the receptacles to power the LOR controllers themselves. 

It's only two right now. most of the roof didn't have overhangs so I'm adding them along with my new attached garage. Is there a way to connect them if I put the controller next to the new panel? I only see controllers with female cords to plugin cords.

You have got to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Go onto the LOR main website and see their typical setups. A standard controller has 16 plugs (channels), there is no way you are fishing 16 circuits through the standard conduit that would run those types of outlets.

That is what I did.  I permanently mounted 2 controllers in my garage and  hardwired the  receptacles to the controllers.  Unless you really understand what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend it. 

Thanks Rayburn. That's what I needed to know. Big addition, open walls, brand new panel, easy to wire them in now that I know I can hardware

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just trying to use the technology the most efficient way possible.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just trying to use the technology the most efficient way possible.

It's only two right now. most of the roof didn't have overhangs so I'm adding them along with my new attached garage. Is there a way to connect them if I put the controller next to the new panel? I only see controllers with female cords to plugin cords.

Controllers are best placed out or up in your display.  Running 16/32/64 or what-ever number of cords through your house isn't practical at all.  As suggested use the outlets to power your Controllers & plug the lights into those.

Big addition, open walls, brand new panel, easy to wire them in now that I know I can hardware

Now is the time to run conduit, and Cat5. Lots of it!

I'm guessing the OP has no electrical experience so all the suggestions are great! Someone "could" if knowing electrical, kill the power to those outlets at the C/B box, then fabricate a male to male 110volt cable and put power into the outlet which would reverse power the entire circuit. BUT, the original power source to it, MUST be disconnected first or else you'll toast the controller or the house!

I need to add...electrical safety and proper wiring is a MUST!!! Just disconnecting at the C/B box is nice but when wiring that male-male, its CRITICAL that small prong or Black wire, goes to the small prong Black wire on the other plug. Doing it wrong, you'll risk a whole lot of damage, potential fire and electrocution hazards and loss of life. Do not attempt this unless you know exactly what you are doing!!!

Edited by dgrant

I'm guessing the OP has no electrical experience so all the suggestions are great! Someone "could" if knowing electrical, kill the power to those outlets at the C/B box, then fabricate a male to male 110volt cable and put power into the outlet which would reverse power the entire circuit. BUT, the original power source to it, MUST be disconnected first or else you'll toast the controller or the house!

I did this with my lamp post.  Spliced the wire in the garage, put in a box and plug ends.  During the year the ends are connected and the lamp works as normal.  During Christmas, I convert the lamp post to a North Pole and plug into a controller.

• The topic was locked