Light-O-Rama Forums

show hesitation

ezimnow

If you have large sequences, make sure to pick the option to load shows when needed.

I have 80 sequences and 18,000 channels. For the most part everything has run quite well, so the software is capable of running large shows. Make sure you are using compressed sequences.

The only glitch that i have seen, it has happened maybe 3 times. For what ever reason, the show player cannot load a compressed sequence. It then has to recreate the  compressed sequence. When you sequences are as large as mine this takes about 3 minutes. During this period the comm listener times out. When this happens you can be patient and wait, it will recreate the compressed sequence and continue playing the show. If i happen to here when it happens, i use the task manager to kill the control panel, restart it and the show starts immediately.

I created a large Sequence almost 28 minutes long and my Media file is .WMV. I'm trying to get around the issue of "the small window" in the upper left corner that happens on a random basis for those of us who use video in their show. I used Windows movie maker to create the file and the Sequence runs fine in Sequence Editor  but when I try to run it from the Schedule editor their is a least a 3 minute delay before it will play. A few things...Im not sitting in fron of my show PC but I think my Show editor settings are set to "load before" but now from reading this post above it seems it should be set to "when needed"?  Also I keep hearing about make sure you have compressed sequences?   Is there a setting that I should be looking for ?  One last question, since I am now running this "video" sequence that runs 28 minnutes long but now I have to factor in the 3 minute Lag,do I just set the next show for say 30 minutes later and it will recoginize the next show it or will it start to play the "video" sequence again?

Edited by ezimnow

If you have large sequences, make sure to pick the option to load shows when needed.

I have 80 sequences and 18,000 channels. For the most part everything has run quite well, so the software is capable of running large shows. Make sure you are using compressed sequences.

The only glitch that i have seen, it has happened maybe 3 times. For what ever reason, the show player cannot load a compressed sequence. It then has to recreate the  compressed sequence. When you sequences are as large as mine this takes about 3 minutes. During this period the comm listener times out. When this happens you can be patient and wait, it will recreate the compressed sequence and continue playing the show. If i happen to here when it happens, i use the task manager to kill the control panel, restart it and the show starts immediately.

I saw this same scenario on one of the Halloween sequences that I ran. It took about 5 minutes to re-create the compressed sequence. It was my largest sequence at about 600 meg. I to have quite a few sequences and 25,000 channels.

I figured if nothing changes I will just have to remove the offending sequences from my playlist.

Yep at this point thats what I've done and I'll have to play them as a single Sequence until there is another work around....Frustrating to say the least....

One of the things I found last year is replacing the Hard drive with an SSD really made a huge difference in sequencing (saving and retrieving), and in playing the show.  Really helps get extra mileage out of a "slower" computer as well.

Certainly with any single main drive, its important to keep them backed up.  I use a $21 laptop cable/software to make multiple exact images of my hard drive onto other hard drives which do nothing but buy me piece of mind, and can be swapped in the laptop at a moments notice if need be.  Hard drives are cheap.    

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415034190&sr=8-2&keywords=hard+drive+clone+cable

I am running a 3rd generation I7 with 16 gig ram on a SS hard drive.

Wow.  I added a 16 ribbon WS2811 MT tree this year.  I hope I'm not sorry I did so.

Don't panic.  I'm running an old HP desktop (under Windows XP) with no problem with a 12 string pixel tree.  I am upping the show this year by a couple thousand channels, but the tests I have run have been OK - so far...  I expect to run the whole show in about 2 weeks so we'll see then...

Concur with Jim.

I've been running on an old Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop with WinXP and 2GB of RAM ..

The only time I see show hesitation is when I forget to take out the duplicate CCR channels used to see the display in Visualizer.

Bob

Well the Video File I run thats 28 minutes long takes 3 minutes to load into the show editor....compressed....and when I try to add other sequences in show editor to that file ...it never plays just clocks away. I added the rest of my songs to that one show editor and opened the task manager to see what was happening as it was loading..LOR editor was clocking at 1.5G!....So I basically cant find a way to get this video sequence to play unless I run it first .....figure in a 3 minnute delay for it to load but then I cant add anymore sequnces to that show.