Light-O-Rama Forums

My First LOR Cosmic Purchase - Am I missing anything?

CitizenShay

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a small setup for inside my house as we have a big holiday party each year.  I usually have a cheapy lightshow in my basement ceiling as we all play bingo for white elephant gifts.  Anyway, I want to up my game with some Cosmic action and surprise the guests with more of a lightshow on the ceiling.  My question is, do I need any other hardware/software beyond the items below to create sequences like a different controller, another USB-RS485 adapter, or something else?   Again, this is a very small setup for now.  Any advice would be great. 

Here are the products I'm about to purchase (they will be supplemented with regular, non-controlled holiday lights): 

2 - Cosmic Color Ribbons

3 - CCPixel 100 pixel set with controller 

1S3 Software - Standard Version

1 - USB-RS485 Communications Adapter

Do I need anything else?  

thanks in advance! 

Hi Shay  and welcome. 

Indoor show !  wow thats cool.   You don't see that discussed often here.   The CCPixels might need something to hold them in position.   While the Bulbs are more money, I think they are easier to hold in alignment and also much easier on the eyes when standing close up.  The pixels and ribbons are more directional and look best when pointing at the viewers location.

You might consider the rs485HS to use the higher communication speed.  Not needed for 400pixels but may help in the future.   Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Another question. How do I hookup all the lights to just two High Speed Adapters when I have 5 inputs (two CCRs and 3 CCPs)?  It seems each adapter can only have one Cosmic input but maybe there are more that I can't see in the photos?   Also, I was thinking of using CCPs instead of the bulbs because all the lights will be on the ceiling facing downward. I have small 3M clear hooks in the ceiling from past parties (using regular LED light strings) so I'm hoping the CCP light wires are thin gauge as well so I can reuse the hooks, or I can get larger ones. 

ItsMeBobO, do you think having the 3 strands of CCPs will be too bright when they are only 2 ft above people's heads (along with the two CCRs)?  I kinda want the whole basement to light up with a show every time someone yells "BINGO!" and they get up to get their prize (wrapped gift) from the prize pile.  I plan to create 5-6 simple sequences that show for a few songs which will only play for 1 Min or less as the person gets their prize and sits back down.  Hopefully, the LOR software will let me hit a button/key and start a sequence with music (previously designed by me in the software), and then 5 min later, have a totally different sequence/song play when someone else has a Bingo. 

• Like 1

You connect Your high speed adapter to the ccr with a cat5 cable then connect that ccr to the next ccr with a cat5 cable and so on till their all connected to each other

Check out the Input Pup which will let you run sequences based on a trigger (a button press for example). You could have multiple buttons and fire off different sequences.

Thanks for all the great help, everyone.

I didn't even notice that the CCPs are connected to the CCR and then to the adaptor. Duh! 

I create my own diagram of my setup which looks like this (and with my light layout as well below it).  Does this look correct?  Also, can I plug the 2 CCRs into the same power strip and the 3 CCPs into their own power strip?   Don't want to start a fire!   

Cosmic_Holiday_Lights_Setup.jpg

• The topic was locked