Jump to content

One channel stuck flickering.


Brad Bilger
 Share

Recommended Posts

I ran my first group of shows on Friday night at Six Flags. Ran PERFECTLY. Saturday, we got rained out. I noticed that on Friday night, I had one string of green in one tree that was dead. So on Monday, I go out and replace the string. No problem. I went to the hardware Utility and isolated that one channel and turned it on so that I could see where my break was. (Channel 2 - Green) But when I looked at the tree, Channel 2 - Green was lit up and Channel 3 - Yellow was flickering. Channel 3 was flickering no matter which channel I had on. The only time that it would stop was when I powered up #3. Ran the show, and the same channel would continue to flicker. Sometimes off and on, sometimes it would come on very dim. No set pattern.

I did a reset, powered down, set to 00, powered up, wait, powered down, reset to 01, powered up and it still flickers. Thinking that it might have gotten a bit damp over the weekend, I leave the cover open and allow it to air out. No change. Finally gave up and replace the controller with a spare that I had. New one works perfectly. No flicker.

So, My question is.. have I got a Triac going out, or could it be the moisture and I need to wait a few days and try it again?

Also, a hardware request. I love the new 1604's, but I wish that on the mounting bracket that it was a keyhole slot instead of just a hole. Makes it easier to mount when you are by yourself

Edit: Forgot to mention. All controllers are run by ELL. The distance from this controller to the PC is about 20 feet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan

Hi,

It is possible that it is a triac. They do sometimes get that type of effect that you are describing. It may clear up but I would not count on it. Do you have any spare controllers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan wrote:

Hi,

It is possible that it is a triac. They do sometimes get that type of effect that you are describing. It may clear up but I would not count on it. Do you have any spare controllers?

Hey Dan, yes, I got a spare. I originally planned on 128 channels, but time constrants limited me to only 96. So I have two spare controllers. The one that is acting up is one that I got last year, and I have replaced it with one of the new ones that I got this year. So I am not in a panic mode.. (yet) If it is a Triac going out, I can wait until after the season and then see about repair. Is there anything that I can do to test the unit further to make sure that the triac is the problem? I plan on waiting a few days and then testing it out again to see if the problem still continues.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan

Make sure that there is no contanimation in the controller. Look for bug nests and such where some critters may have got into the contoller over the summer. That is about the only thing that I can see that could cause this other than a componet going bad. Most likely a triac but could possible be something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan

Make sure that there is no contanimation in the controller. Look for bug nests and such where some critters may have got into the contoller over the summer. That is about the only thing that I can see that could cause this other than a componet going bad. Most likely a triac but could possible be something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brad Bilger wrote:

Also, a hardware request. I love the new 1604's, but I wish that on the mounting bracket that it was a keyhole slot instead of just a hole. Makes it easier to mount when you are by yourself

Brad I second this motion.

I made stands for my controllers that sit at a 45 degree angle. It is difficult to hang the controllers when one hand is on the screw gun and one on the controller.

I used a rasp and a Dremel tool to make keyholes in mine. Only need one.
The only problem I had with this is, the screw now sticks out with no controller on it and you get your shirt snagged on it. Not a big deal:)

Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan wrote:

Make sure that there is no contanimation in the controller. Look for bug nests and such where some critters may have got into the contoller over the summer. That is about the only thing that I can see that could cause this other than a componet going bad. Most likely a triac but could possible be something else.




Wish it were that simple. Controllers were stored over the summer in plastic tupperware containers with locking lids, sealed up nice and tight. They were removed from the containers last month, inspected inside and out, hooked up in my garage and tested. Carried to the park last week and mounted inside plywood boxes. No bugs, no critters. Board is as pristine as the day I got it. (if were only something that simple. ). No rush yet, I'll get in touch after the season rush is over with and we'll see what happens then. I'll be testing it more then. I thought it might have just been moisture causing a current leak, but the inside of the box was bone dry and the board has no trace of moisture on it.

And thanks for the quick reply..
Link to comment
Share on other sites

imfsimm wrote:

Brad Bilger wrote:
Also, a hardware request. I love the new 1604's, but I wish that on the mounting bracket that it was a keyhole slot instead of just a hole. Makes it easier to mount when you are by yourself

Brad I second this motion.

I made stands for my controllers that sit at a 45 degree angle. It is difficult to hang the controllers when one hand is on the screw gun and one on the controller.

I used a rasp and a Dremel tool to make keyholes in mine. Only need one.
The only problem I had with this is, the screw now sticks out with no controller on it and you get your shirt snagged on it. Not a big deal:)

Tim





I cheated.. I take the screws out when I pull the controllers My only problem is I have to hide my controllers from the public, since they are walking all around them.. So I built two big boxes painted as Christmas presents to hide them in.. but when I have to work on the controllers, I feel like the old cartoon Rabbit trap.. waiting for them to fall over with me inside

23298372.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brad Bilger wrote:

imfsimm wrote:
Brad Bilger wrote:
Also, a hardware request. I love the new 1604's, but I wish that on the mounting bracket that it was a keyhole slot instead of just a hole. Makes it easier to mount when you are by yourself

Brad I second this motion.

I made stands for my controllers that sit at a 45 degree angle. It is difficult to hang the controllers when one hand is on the screw gun and one on the controller.

I used a rasp and a Dremel tool to make keyholes in mine. Only need one.
The only problem I had with this is, the screw now sticks out with no controller on it and you get your shirt snagged on it. Not a big deal:)

Tim





I cheated.. I take the screws out when I pull the controllers My only problem is I have to hide my controllers from the public, since they are walking all around them.. So I built two big boxes painted as Christmas presents to hide them in.. but when I have to work on the controllers, I feel like the old cartoon Rabbit trap.. waiting for them to fall over with me inside

23298372.jpg

Ah! my controllers are all behind my neighbors fence or gate that is locked and I have the keys for them. Oh! they are also connected to my alarm system wirelessly and they work across the street. I have them booby trapped, if someone cuts the wire my alarm system tells me which one was tripped.

They are on a 24hr deadman, including my wiring, if some one cuts the lite set off my house or my neighbors house it will set off my alarm. I have a two conductor wire in with the lights that creates a loop.

I will not be a victim again :)

Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...