Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR on a DMX network

Tim Fischer

I know that iDMX allows you to put DMX devices on the LOR network.

Can you do the opposite yet? I know this was planned at one time...

My coworker does a light show with a dmx network, and would like the option of using LOR devices. I told him I'd ask for him...

-Tim

At one time, Dan was saying that a CTB-16D would directly support DMX in (with a passive connection adapter) via new firmware. Not sure if that's still coming, if it's out there yet, or what... Or maybe I misunderstood altogether...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

At one time, Dan was saying that a CTB-16D would directly support DMX in (with a passive connection adapter) via new firmware. Not sure if that's still coming, if it's out there yet, or what... Or maybe I misunderstood altogether...

-Tim

Hi Tim,

The CTB-16D on my desk supports DMX. It requires a passive adapter go from the dmx connector to RJ45 so we can plug into the controller. It is only a firmware upgrade and this controller automatically detects DMX / LOR so you just plug it in and it either a DMX or LOR network and it figures out how it should act.

We will be releasing the firmware early next year. Biggest issue we have is testing it throughout the full range of the DMX specification.

Dan

edit: fixed spelling

Thanks for the info Dan -- I'll pass this onto my coworker (who I think has communicated with you directly in the past...) Hopefully you'll get a new customer :)

EDIT: One more question: Will the CTB-16PC support this or only the CTB-16D?

-Tim

daniel wrote:

Cool!

What other fun things are on your desk? :P

--Daniel L

LOL! I kind of imagine Dan's desk like the secret lab area in the James Bond films, everything we couldn't even dream of, he already has in the works. Little robot monkey that will climb the tall trees to string lights? Oh yea, Dan already has one on his desk, holds his coffee for him. He might implement the monkey next year for general release. New animation window to view sequences? He has a prototype of the Star Trek Holodeck that lets you walk among the virtual display. Probably some special LOR powerbars formulated to keep the energy up, warm you throughout for protection in the cold climates, and maintains a steady blood alcohol level of 0.05 for a safe buzz without having to pee all the time.

I understand there are a few other LOR items underdevelopment:

• LOR B-FIX UTILITY: Software that finds and heals dead mini bulbs remotely.

• SOLAR-LOR A10: A hardware plug-in solar array that looks like an inflatable snowflake that captures, converts and stores electricity to save on utility bills.

• LOR DEFIB 2800: LOR controlled defibrillator for spectators that are overcome by the magnificence of the display.

• MOBILE-LOR: A 12volt portable system for camping, tailgating, or Burning Man.

• LOR-ANONYMOUS: A support system for those with “channel envy”, “sequencing addiction”, or “bad-bulb-phobia”.

• LOR-SAFE 5000: Motion activated LOR hardware that activates laser beams when vandalism or theft is detected.

• iLOR: Portable LOR Sequencer. Perfect for working on sequences while on the road, at the opera, or while waiting for a spouse in a shopping mall.

• LOR-INLAW UTILITY: Makes “constructive” suggestions about your display when your relatives aren’t there.

• LOR FAQ 3.5: Automatically answers questions most ask of LOR users: How many lights, what is your electric bill, how log did it take, does your wife mind, why do you do it, do you have a lot of spare time, don’t you have a life, etc.

• TAKE DOWN LOR 2007: At the push of a button all of the lights come down, cables are wound, and decorations put away.

• LOR CLINIC: Dispenses assistance to those suffering from “LOR Withdrawals” which typically starts around December 26th and can last for sever weeks or months.

DaveK wrote:

LOR-SAFE 5000

First I thought you said "SAVE 5000", which reminded me of the "SAVE10" promotion of the past. And I was really excited to hear there was a "Save 5000%" sale coming up. Until I realize I had read it wrong... :P

-Tim

• The topic was locked