Light-O-Rama Forums

Holidaycoro pixel mega tree

uncledan

Anyone bought one of these kits? $799 for 1800 channel pixel tree seems like a deal compared to cc r's. Any input on these? I know it's late. I'm planning on buying sequences needed. I'm very new to rgb and have no pixels at this time. Thanks for any help!

http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/812.htm

Will this work with existing LOR network? Do I need to get an adaptor/dongle? to E1.31. Currently running 500+ channels with 40 channels of rgb with cmb24d. Would more than one universe be needed? A little help please... I've been dreading stepping foot into rgb, and pixels is even scarier.

I have NEVER had a bad experience with Holiday Coro.  All his products are top notch. 

Realize this is a DYI project not a plug and play like CCR's. 

May be worth the assembly price if you are just starting out. 

I was definitely going to buy enclosures and have them assemble. I'm new to pixels. Not sure what I'm getting exactly and what I will need to get connected to existing network. The kit comes with a cat5. That makes me assume i can daisychain into existing lor controller. I thought you had to have dongle when going to dmx. I'm new to this pixel stuff.... Thanks

That system runs on E1-31 so you don't use a dmx dongle you give the controller an IP address so it runs off your computer lan line it does not connect to any lor controllers however you can sequence it with lor software

As far as I can gather after countless hours on internet.... I need the actidongle from holiday coro and a cat5 from the dongle to the controller. This is was holiday coro website said anyways. I'm lost but I ordered the 16 pixel tree kit and what I hope is right. Always next year if I end up lost and confused with wrong pieces of equipment. I know why I waited so long to get into pixels..

OK, I have never considered smart pixel items before because of the cost. So, I know NOTHING. I hope my questions aren't to stupid. 

If I bought on of these kits (link in uncledan's first post) do I use LOR to program them? When I run my show does LOR control their controller? Is this just an add on to my current one universe? How hard is it to program to make words, pics, ect? Could someone please spell this out for me in very basic terms.

Thank you

Papa

P.S. would I have enough time to add this to this years display with about 16 songs?

no Ethernet cable from computer to pixlite controller

How do I get from USB to Ethernet? It appears cat5 isn't the answer, although that's still what I read on holiday coros website. I'm lost and starting to regret ordering... Is there somewhere someone can direct me for more info on this? Thanks

I learned e131 this year and its not hard, but a lot to it.

You do NOT go from USB to Ethernet. You use cat5 (Ethernet cable) from the Ethernet plug on your computer straight to the controller. No dongle is needed with a pixlite. You will then program your controllers output and address. Then in your LOR network preferences select e131 to the universes you are going to use (matching your controller).

I hope this helped. Perhaps some seasoned veterans can clear more up for you if it didn't.

The Pixel Lite is E1.31  (DMX over Ethernet).  You will NOT need a dongle or crossover cable or RS485 adapter   On your computer is a network plug (like a phone plug but a little larger).  You will connect a Cat 5 cable (Ethernet cable) to that connector and to the Pixel Lite.  Of course you will need to do some setup in LOR as well as on the controller.  On Holiday Coro site look under the product help and documentation menu at the top.  Select How to Videos then look at the Animated Lighting 101 video. If you look on the page for the Pixel Lite David has done a number of setup videos. 

Look at these before you buy watch these to see if you are ready for a project this big this late in the year.  This is 1800 channels alone.  Not really that big a thing but can be overwhelming starting out. 

Fortunately there are a number of 12 string X 50 (CCR type) of sequences available (for fee),  even the superstar sequences could be used on these pixel types with a little work.

Edited by jerrymac

My 2 cents.  I've been running pixels for 2 years now, this will be the 3rd.  Each year increasing the size of the display, each year expanding the number of controllers.  

I felt I was pretty seasoned, and I purchased the same products you are considering.  They are great products, but it is only a portion of what you need to consider if you are planning on using them this year.  

Sequences were already discussed...sure you can buy CCR sequences, but you still have to integrate them into your non-CCR tree, that means getting the pixels defined as channels in your existing sequences.  You still have to modify the CCR sequences you receive by removing the macro channels, before you can copy into your sequence.  If you're asking what are macro channels?  You will need to find out.  You also need some type of frame or substrate to put the pixel strips on so you can create a tree shape.  There are 100's of opinions on how to do it.  You'll need to consider the best approach for you from those recommendations.  

I started in July.  Glad I did.  There is a learning curve, especially if this is your first venture into pixels.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the feedback. I know its late in the year but I'm going to give it a shot. My wife told me I needed a pixel tree. I have to listen!

I am still lost. After buying the kit, what do I need and what knowledge do I need to add to my 96 LOR channel show? Is the kit all the hardware I need and is my LOR software all the software I need?

Papa

P.S. would I have enough time to add this to this years display with about 16 songs?

Short answer to that one is NO!

Slightly longer answer - About the only way to have time to sequence 16 songs for this year's show is to buy all the sequences and essentially don't do anything else.  Especially for someone who has never programmed a large display, it will take quite a while.

I had planned on buying sequences. I started playing with superstar sequencer an hour ago and it is awesome! Much easier than I anticipated. I should be able to finish a song today no problem. I would recommend getting your feet wet with it to see what you can and can't do. There's a lot of sequences out there for purchase as well. I think this is starting to click for me.

I've been using Superstar for 3 years and even with a purchased sequence for me 12 string pixel tree, I'm taking 10 to 20 hours to add the rest of the yard (another 2,000 or so channels). 

I've been using Superstar for 3 years and even with a purchased sequence for me 12 string pixel tree, I'm taking 10 to 20 hours to add the rest of the yard (another 2,000 or so channels). 

Hey that seems like mine. About that long for me too