Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485 vs USB485B

tmcmillin2001

Yesterday I received an LOR order which included the RS485B adapter....  so now 6 months after purchasing the 16 ch starter kit I had forgotten it came with an RS485 adapter...   now I have 2.....   Tempted to keep the RS485B cuz of the "Voltage Booster"  :)....  but have no idea...  any thoughts?  should I return it and get the ~$40 bucks back?

Thomas

1st Year

As implied, the "B" does stand for voltage boost. If you ever have plans to go with the ELL's, I would keep them, as the USB485B can supply power to one of the ELL's.

The other advantage is that you have to RJ45's on the B, which can both be used to reach your controllers. For example, if you had one controller on the other side of the yard, the USB485B could let you make a direct run to that controller, with the other connector going to your other controller(s.)

What I don't understand or never did, is why LOR had to come out with an adapter that didn't have the voltage being sent through. Its just an extra wire inside. Instead, they sell the standard adapter without the USB power in it whereas everyone else on the planet using USB, always has power in their devices, cables and etc...I too bought the wrong one three years ago and of course, had to spend more money to get the correct one. I still think seriously about taking the old one apart, adding the wire and be done with it.

• The topic was locked