Light-O-Rama Forums

Yet another E1.31 question connecting E682's, but this time to a G3 Directo

dustinpelletier

First of all, I have never posted a question before, so please excuse me if I say too much or too little.

I run 40 regular 16 channel controllers, 12 CCR's, iDMX1000, 8 CMB24 and 9 E682 (45 Universes) and they ALL work just fine connected to the computer.

My question is: What can I do to connect the 45 E682 universes to my G3 Director I got to run the show without a laptop?  I know that a "bridge" is not needed with the computer, but it is with the G3 Director. I have read about using the ELOR as the bridge, but from what I understand, they will only control 4 universes at a time and even multiple units can only get me 16 universes. And even if I could get enough for 45 universes, many of my E682's run 6 universes each, so a single ELOR couldn't work.

I REALLY want to use the Director, so I'm hoping that there is a different "bridge(s)" that I can use.

This my fourth year with LOR and I'm hooked. Please help all you LOR gurus!!

The problem is that your e682s are running on e1.31 protocol and not LOR network protocol.  The MP3/g3 Direct will output two LOR networks only as far as I know at this time.  You can connect the eLORs to the Director but I am not so sure you will be able to handle all that data on the LOR networks.. I think you are kinda screwed..

Plasma is right....the show director has only 2 LOR network outputs. I do not believe it will run in E1.31. You will need to run that from a PC.

Or I believe there is a small device out there that will output E1.31. I think it's called Falcon or Raspberry Pi. I don't own one nor not really anything about them. Just saw them at the Christmas Expo. Google those or maybe someone else here has more info.

That's not good news about the director.

But I do have the Raspberry Pi also. I've been able to get it to output to my E682s but I'm not sure how to get it to transmit to LOR also. I've heard it can be done, but I thought the Director would be easier.

If anyone knows how to get the Raspberry Pi to talk to LOR, I'm all ears.

Can't the LOR controllers be set to work in "DMX" mode?

You will need to convert all your LOR channels to DMX

with 40 controlllers that 680 channels... so you will need 2 DMX universes..

Do you have any open slots on one of your e682's to output  2 DMX universes?

The CCR's would need to be converted too... but I think you might loose your macros, if you used them.

but then everthing would be DMX, and would be controlled through  e1.31 devices.

Edited by Crazydave

Except that this is way more capacity than the 2 outputs on the Director can handle.  If the Director outputs raw DMX, you can only gets 2 universes.  If using LOR outputs and IDMX converters, you would be pushing it to control 12 CCRs + over 800 channels on 2 networks and that does not count the 45 universes off the E682s.  That is potentially over 25,000 channels.  Even if everything could handle 500K speed, you would be pushing it - a LOT.

Simply put, your show is far too big to control with the Director.  Even if the Director has the horsepower to control it, the 2 network outputs could not come close to handling it.

Edited by k6ccc

Thanks for all the responses. Based on your feedback, I will abandon the director idea and pursue the raspberry pi idea. I'll tinker with it a little more to try and figure it out. If I can't I'll post another topic. Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure the Pi does not run LOR software so you'd need to use a different show player. Why not just find a used laptop and use that? I'm sure you could find something for less that the Director would have cost.

I'm pretty sure the Pi does not run LOR software so you'd need to use a different show player. Why not just find a used laptop and use that? I'm sure you could find something for less that the Director would have cost.

For your setup, I would use a laptop. But if that's not an option and going with the Pi....

I would get a bridge to talk to all your LOR devices. E1.31 out of the Pi to the SanDevices and E1.31 bridge. The bridge has 6 DMX universe. This should been enough for the CCRs, DC boards and other LOR hardware.

I don't have the Pi nor the bridge, so just a guess based off what I have read.

Edited by CLD Kevin