Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with Ell

abbott

Ok been going back and forth with support  with them just repeating the same thing but that doesn't help me or change anything so i'm turning to the users to help.  

All lights are on on ELL and ctb16pc everything works in hardware utility but when i run a sequence i get nothing.

this is my last message to support am i missing something?

Ok they are both configured the same one is at my laptop the other is about 15ft away in another room i can see it in the reflection in the glass.With the hardware utility open and both ELL's  plugged in one to the usb485b and one to a ctb16pc with lights on all channels.The lights all turn on fade,twinkle,shimmer turn on and off.Then i close the hardware utility and open the sequence editor and load a sequence i get no lights and yes control lights is checked.If i take out the ELL and just go straight to the ctb16pc everything works fine.My confusion is it works fine in hardware utility but not in the sequence editor. 

Interesting problem.  I thought I knew what it was until you said it works fine when cable connected. 

1. If it works fine using the ELLs with the HU you know you have an RF link, but could be  "Control Lights" is not actually checked or staying checked.  (You said this is not the case.  You also said you close the HU first) one down.
  2. If it works fine using a CAT5 cable from the USB dongle to the controller, you have to have your config set correctly to match that controller.    two down
  3. Either you are not drinking enough or you are missing something that you are telling us...or both  waiting for reply  :huh:

Something just isn't right about this.. (as if you didn't know). 

The ELLS need to be powered from either a controller or a USB485B (not a USB485). Could that be the issue?

Ok.. everyone read what he wrote.. he is able to control the lights via the ELL with the HU... just not with the sequence editor.   That means his computer is able to talk to the ELLs and they can talk to the controller..... so the data chain works.. now  why not from the SE?  That is the problem.

Again, read what he wrote.. when he connects via a cable SE runs the controller just fine. 

The problem still seems to be that SE won't run thru the ELLs..

I still think some info is missing here.. or perhaps out of order.. because if he doesn't close the HU before he tries to run the SE, he can check the "control Lights' and it will just not work... but he says he closes the HU first.. That is the part that makes no sense..

Thanks for the replys not getting any help from lor support they just keep saying the same thing over and over.I ever tried restating the computer (one of LOR's suggestions) still no lights.I guess i'm not using them i'm just at a loss.But i will still try any thing if there are any more suggestions. 

You can't have hu and se open just comes up with a comm error.

Have advanced license 

one is powered through the usb485b the other from a ctb16pc

yes i have a red bulb

Plasmadrive i actually run a plasma for work!

Edited by abbott

LOR also warns against different speed settings -

Transceivers do not automatically detect the network speed. If you change the RS485 network speed of a transceiver using the Hardware Utility, you must also do this in the Sequence Editor and/or Show Player. If the PC’s or MP3 Director’s network speed does not match the transceiver’s, the transceiver will not recognize and therefore not transmit LOR commands.

Transceivers do not automatically detect the network speed. If you change the RS485 network speed of a transceiver using the Hardware Utility, you must also do this in the Sequence Editor and/or Show Player. If the PC’s or MP3 Director’s network speed does not match the transceiver’s, the transceiver will not recognize and therefore not transmit LOR commands.

Not a bad thought.. but I would assume that since he is able to control the lights via a cable that would not apply..

Thanks for the replys not getting any help from lor support they just keep saying the same thing over and over.I ever tried restating the computer (one of LOR's suggestions) still no lights.I guess i'm not using them i'm just at a loss.But i will still try any thing if there are any more suggestions. 

You can't have hu and se open just comes up with a comm error.

Have advanced license 

one is powered through the usb485b the other from a ctb16pc

yes i have a red bulb

Plasmadrive i actually run a plasma for work!

Actually I have had both open at the same time and I spent about 10 mins figuring out why my "Control Lights" check mark kept disappearing..   That was why I mentioned it. 

You mean a Plasma cutter or a plasma laser?    That name came from a power supply I designed to drive a large ion laser.   We called it the Plasmadrive.  ha ha..

EUREKA! 

You should work for LOR support! 

That was the problem just received almost the same email from support today.Still don't understand why it would work in HU it still goes through comm 6 for me.

Thanks for all the help and patients

I always get a comm error when i open both so i always close one but that is good to know.

We have 3 plasma cutters 600 amp,1000 amp and a 100 hidef machine.

Good catch Mega.. I would have thought that since he had it working from the cable it would have worked with the ELLs.. That why I said I "assumed"..you know what that word does.. huh?  

Yeah. Just glad this forum is here. With enough people helping to rule out items, seams like 99% of issues can be resolved. I haven't been on this forum that long, but can't tell you how much help I've gotten already. Some directly, but most by reading others' posts, including posts by yourself.

I'm sure every time one of us feels our issue was solved, 20 more people reading the post had an ah-ha moment and just didn't take time to acknowledge it.

I think you may be right.. lots of ah ha moments for us all.  

Glad I have been able to help at least someone at least once!  :)

yes forums of all types help so much because there is always someone who knows more than you!

thanks again guys for the quick response and the help.

Jeff

• The topic was locked