Light-O-Rama Forums

New display goin big, need a few questions answered

Unionman

Hello there,

I am looking to do a dramatic display at my Union Hall.  I am a Master Electrician however this type of installation is new to me.  I have some questions and really could use some help for my initial investigations.  I appreciate any and all advice!!

1)      I will be installing many 16 channel controllers.  If I have 2 mega trees, in different areas, that I want to do the exact same thing, can I program 2 controllers as 1 address? 

To help with mirroring your mega trees, You have two options:

option 1 (simplest) use one controller for both trees and run two extension cords out of each output with splitters

option 2 mirroring the controls ID What you will need to do is go to the "Light o rama hardware utility" > and set the  second mega tree's control's ID to the same ID as your first mega tree control is using, For example the first mega trees control is set to unit ID 01 then you would set the second controls ID to unit 01 as well For help on setting this up watch this video:

This video is also a good guide on how to set up all you controls

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys, this is great information.  We have a parking lot that give good view from many areas.  For this year I have decided to go with all LED for two reasons, keep the cost a it lower and have viewing from all sides.  Next year I can add CCR and such to enhance, I have plenty of room to do that :)  I bought a ton of lights from HLE, now I will get the remainder from CDI.  I know the premade sequences will limit my wow factor, but we are really looking to get up and rolling fast and due to the size of the property.....I have to go sort of big right out of the box.  Thank you all again, I will be checking back for any updates. my email is still not getting the notifications, I think they are being blocked at my webserver.  

Welcome Unionman,  this is a great hobby with much satisfaction but time is very short. It may be wise this year to set up a display similar to some of the pre-purchased sequences you buy.  As even a seasoned newby, it will take hours to modify a sequence to fit your display.  I'm also a union guy from Boston and I started with wowlights pre-purchased sequences set up as they have their display for the first year and then modified and added every year since.  Bottom line is to have fun! 

Welcome Unionman,  this is a great hobby with much satisfaction but time is very short. It may be wise this year to set up a display similar to some of the pre-purchased sequences you buy.  As even a seasoned newby, it will take hours to modify a sequence to fit your display.  I'm also a union guy from Boston and I started with wowlights pre-purchased sequences set up as they have their display for the first year and then modified and added every year since.  Bottom line is to have fun! 

Thanks again brother for the advice.  All is bought, megatree masts are at the welding shop right now.  I have lined up about 8 volunteers and I never sleep so I think we can at least get a good bit of it done.  I bought a bunch of LOR controllers and plan on using all pre-made sequences mirroring the design template for this year, then modify and make my own throughout next year.  I have little doubt we will pull of a decent display that includes a 15' megatree on the roof that can be seen for miles.  Im excited and looking forward to this!!  

Thanks again brother for the advice.  All is bought, megatree masts are at the welding shop right now.  I have lined up about 8 volunteers and I never sleep so I think we can at least get a good bit of it done.  I bought a bunch of LOR controllers and plan on using all pre-made sequences mirroring the design template for this year, then modify and make my own throughout next year.  I have little doubt we will pull of a decent display that includes a 15' megatree on the roof that can be seen for miles.  Im excited and looking forward to this!!  

Sounds like your well on your way!  the volunteers help for sure! Good luck! I may just have to take a drive down to see it when your done!  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

two megatrees up, 16 mid size manufactured trees complete, 4 arches complete, 1000' data cable run and terminated, 2000' of cords made, making good progress so far :) 

• 2 weeks later...