Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Operating Manuals

Denny

I know that most of the folks at LOR are working on the changes to the LOR program, but I would like to suggest to them that once they get a handle on the programming, someone go back and review the Hardware Manuals and do some tech revisions.  I am speaking specifically about the iDMX 1000 manual.  Back in 2007-2008, I bought the iDMX 1000 and several DMX fixtures.  I used it that first year, and then put it away.  Since I have the time this year, thought I would pull all that hardware out and work it into my sequences this year.  I pretty much forgot everything I knew about it back then, so brought out the old manual to refresh my mind.  Things have certainly changed in 7 years.  The manual looks like it was written for an entirely different product when you get into the hardware utility and set up. Can't imagine how someone new to the system can figure it out with the outdated instructions today.

Another manual that needs some clarification and revision is the Servo Dog, that is one confusing operating manual too.  I'm sure there are others too.

You know, it's nearly impossible to get programmers to write documentation, right?  Well, there is actually one type of person who is even WORSE than a programmer in getting documentation updates out:  Hardware Designers :P

What is really embarrassing is when you have a customer on the phone and you try to explain something they tell you out right, 'It doesn't look like that on my screen!' (See also: Dual Normal mode on CCB/CCP).

I let the boss know we need to spend some time updating those docs, and he agrees.  Hopefully we can get to them after the new year.

Mike,

Tell the boss to loosen the wallet and hire a tech writer; takes the pressure off the programmers!  

I will be the first to admit that I don't really keep up on all the changes as they are released.  I'm a procrastinator; I see something and figure that I don't need that feature now, but when I decide to use it a couple years down the road, I am totally lost.  Go to the manual and it usually just adds to my confusion.  

One question, come to think of it.  I am finally getting ready to use my DIO 32 and two relay cards.  The DIO 32 manual (and I believe the iDMX manual) often refers to this feature is not available but will be in the future.  Or it says something to the affect that legacy mode is only available at this time.  I know that the iDMX firmware was upgraded several years ago, but has the DIO 32?  Does the DIO 32 operate in legacy mode only at this time and all references to anything else should be avoided?

Thanks.

Denny

I am not familiar with the DIO line.  I would open a trouble ticket and we can get you over to the right person (and maybe prod the boss a little more about documentation). ;)

• 3 months later...

You know, it's nearly impossible to get programmers to write documentation, right?  Well, there is actually one type of person who is even WORSE than a programmer in getting documentation updates out:  Hardware Designers :P

I let the boss know we need to spend some time updating those docs, and he agrees.  Hopefully we can get to them after the new year.

Ummm, it's after the first of the year; time to put a bug in the boss' ear again.  Hint, start with the servo dog manual.

• The topic was locked