Light-O-Rama Forums

Big Display Question

erwalker

We're putting on a display for our community at a camp we run in Texas.  On our ropes course we  have a perfect spot to do two 12 CCR pixel trees, plus another matrix, for a total of 36 CCRs, plus about eight 16-channel controllers.  I do have background in stage lighting, as well as in non-linear audio and video editing, but I've been a Mac guy for a lot of years now.  It's hard going back!

My question - I've been reading about network delays for people putting only 3-4 CCRS on a show.  Is it even feasible to attempt 36 CCR strings in one production?  I bought a dedicated PC laptop to run things (after an unsuccessful Parallels/Windows 7 attempt), and it has 4 USB ports, but I have a lot of programming to do, and can't afford to build shows that won't work.  

What are larger commercial displays using in terms of hardware, etc.?  Will LOR networks handle this?

Thanks,

Ed Walker

Sabine Creek Ranch

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know why not.  My display uses 18-16 channel controllers and 14 CCP's.  I was able to eliminate the delays by putting no more than 4 CCP controllers on a network.  So I am running the 16 channel controllers on the regular network and then then the CCP's on the Aux networks.  I am running a laptop to drive everything and a 16 port USB hub.  It does mean a lot of Cat 5 cable I had to fabricate.I use the RD-485HS High Speed USB adapters for all the Aux network connections. 

• The topic was locked