Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 Data Signal Strength Concern

Acguy1999

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to find out if anyone has ran into a data signal issue with the E682?

The problem I think I have with my Halloween display is a signal strength issue from my E682. I've got an email out to Jim at SANDEVICES and just waiting a reply.

So here's what I got: the E682 is driving two props. Prop 1 consists of 20 pixels and prop 2 consists of 100 pixels. Each prop is about 12-15 feet from the controller. I tried to split the distance between the two props and landed my controller. The cable run doesn't seem to be far but I may be wrong. Right now I've got prop 1 working. Prop 1 is running a little sluggish but it's running. Prop 2 doesn't light at all. I did verify to make sure I had 12v at both props, which I do. So I'm thing the data signal coming from the E682 isn't strong enough for the length of run.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Brent

You did not say what type of pixels they are, but your distances are not all that long, so I would that to be a problem. Although I recall that WS2801 pixels can't handle as long of a distance as WS2811. I don't know about any others as everything I have used so far is WS2811s (although I will be hanging a little over 200 GE Color Effects bulbs in a week or two and will be playing with them as soon as they are up).

I'm with rjmcmasters that you may have a wiring issue...

Thanks for the article. I tried the flat pixel wire but it still didn't work. I'm current talking with Jim @ SANDEVICES. I'll keep you guys informed in what we find.

You did not say what type of pixels they are, but your distances are not all that long, so I would that to be a problem. Although I recall that WS2801 pixels can't handle as long of a distance as WS2811. I don't know about any others as everything I have used so far is WS2811s (although I will be hanging a little over 200 GE Color Effects bulbs in a week or two and will be playing with them as soon as they are up).I'm with rjmcmasters that you may have a wiring issue...

Everything I'm using is WS2811

Try a null pixel half way between the controller and each prop.

Edited by Frank Farmer

You can use an electronic voltmeter like the Klein ET50 (Home Depot) to check the data line. It won't tell you how good the data is, but it will blink and beep if data is present.

I'm no expert on DMX but data is just data. It requires very little power. The power is supplied by the power supply feeding the card itself and the receiving/sending chips on each pixel, takes care of re-powering the signal via the chips input/output. I've sent data via RS485, 400 feet without issue although we're not talking RS485 here...we're talking E1.31 DMX data. I've sent GPIB/HPIB serial data via fiber for well over a 1000 feet without issue but that's fiber but super high-speed. Let me ask, are you using the power from the card to run the pixels too or are you subbing in power at the pixels from a different power supply? Someone else reported noise issues from a DC power supply with a fan, that was causing data issues. Is there any AC interference along the path?

Edited by dgrant

• The topic was locked