Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb DMX Wiring

Ralph A

I have the following dumb led but I'm unsure of the wiring.  It is labeled from top down,12vdc (power) then A then B and C. Can anyone tell which is ground, data etc, etc.  These were bought from DIY LED Express.

Thank you for the help!

post-1522-0-89359500-1411518337_thumb.jp

If they are like mine, A is red, B is green and C would be blue. Hook up your controller and just make sure the 12v is attached right, and test each lead. You don't need to even hook up all 3 of the remaining wires. In my test setup, I have just the 12v and the blue channel hooked up. I test each wire from the single lead.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thank you Ron!!! My wire colors were a bit different, but they all do that.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Phil, Thank you for that 9v battery tip.  Saved me from having to set up for now.  Great tip!!

I have the following dumb led but I'm unsure of the wiring.  It is labeled from top down,12vdc (power) then A then B and C. Can anyone tell which is ground, data etc, etc.  These were bought from DIY LED Express.

Thank you for the help!

If I read this correctly.. you are wondering where to connect the "DATA" and the "GROUND".  Also the header says "Dumb DMX Wiring". 

I am thinking you may be a bit confused, or didn't write what you actually meant to ask.  Forgive me if I am incorrect on that part.

Those indeed look like "DUMB PIXELS" meaning there is no DMX input or "DATA" input, or for that matter a single ground, (DC Common).   The + goes to +12v of the supply and the other three wires go to your controller which drives them to DC common to turn on the LEDs of R and G and B depending on which leg is pulls down.  You must have a controller that will current drive the dumb pixels.

I am thinking you may be a bit confused, or didn't write what you actually meant to ask.  Forgive me if I am incorrect on that part.

Yes Craig you are correct, I wrote that wrong. I'm wiring  a star with 4 different sizes. Two are WS2811 LED's and two are dumb LED's When writing that I was thinking about both and wrote it wrong. After the reply's I saw it and thought, now it's not only the LED's that are dumb here! 

Thanks for catching that and correcting that so others looking will understand what I meant to say and did not.

Hi Ralph,

Glad I wasn't seeing things.. phew :)

Did you get your answers?

Yes, I took the 9v battery and found out which was red, green and blue.  Thanks for checking!!

• The topic was locked