Light-O-Rama Forums

Need idea to store the LOR safe and securely during Christmas.

dchristian19

Hey Guys,

2014 is going to be first year with LOR and I AM SUPER EXCITED!! I've already got a handle on setting up the sequences, lights, RF transmitter etc. However, I still haven't figured out where to store the LOR and the laptop?

I'm using a laptop, the 16 channel LOR and the RF transmitter. Any thoughts where I should keep them so that they are both weather protected and out-of-sight?

I live in Charlotte, NC, USA so winter time can get in the low 20-30s and we do get rain.

just to give you an idea, I have in a house with has a garage, front porch and bushes in my front yard.

Thanks in advance.

My show PC and all the goodies needed for the show, dmx dongle,fm transmitter, USB to 485 dongle, etc, are all set up in the garage.

My control boxes are in a central location outside.

Garage is safe and dry. And close to test and verify as needed during the show months.

I have network jacks and cables that go from the garage to the control boxes. My cables do not go out under any doors.

Good luck,

Sax

You do know the controllers are weather proof?

I run mine off a desktop which is in the house beside the transmitter.

The network cable(s) run from the PC outside to the boxes.

The first year I attached them to the house (I still have one or 2 outside all year).

For me, the controllers are all located as close to their needed props as possible. I run ELL's for wireless to the main controllers from inside of the house therefore the computer is inside of course. This year, I'm adding a pixel tree, firesticks and RGB windows so those controllers are also outside but in the case of the pixel tree and firesticks, those are E1.31 so I'm doing those wirelessly too via a switch to N-Bridge which talks to an N-Router in the garage and simple Cat6 to the controller. The RGB controller is by LOR so it talks to the normal network.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the computer and the transmitter inside.  I run a LAN cable to the control units, which I put inside the 'ammo boxes' that Walmart sells ($5 ea, perfect fit).  These sit on my porch and all is well.

PC laptop and transmitter inside at a window, Cat6 cable out the window, under some water pipe insulation 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24434-1410-P12XB/6_0__?productId=3133247&Ntt=pipe+insulation&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpipe%2Binsulation&facetInfo=

and all controllers at the props they control.

My first year was 32 extension cords all over the yard with controllers right up against the house. Second year was < 14 because I moved the controllers to the props

After laying my out my plan, figured where would be the best area to put each controller to keep extension cords to a minimum. I have two that will be hung under the eaves, and one that will go in the yard in a water tight container, minus the hole I cut in it, locked to a tree to help keep it from walking away in the middle of the night. My RGB controller will also go under the eave in an enclosed box, up off the ground, out of reach. Laptop for my LOR will be in the garage on its own shelf and the wires will go out through one of the roof vents that are under the eaves. Transmitter will be in garage away from any powered lines.

I use a desktop PC in my home office, have the FM transmitter next to it.  From the FM transmitter, I have wall plates on both sides of the wall with coax cable in between, so I can run my J-pole antenna outside.

I have another set of wall plates with cat-5e connections to get the 2 LOR networks outside through the eaves of my house and another cat-5e connection for the E1.31.

I have my PC located on a desk/bench in the garage. There is a shelf behind the desk that has my FM transmitter and power amp for the speakers mounted all over the yard. Then mounted on the wall under the shelf is my 2 original CTB16PC 16 channel controllers for basic lights and 2 CTB16PC 16 controllers in the yard for the singing faces props. 4 CCP controllers mounted under the eves and 2 CCR controllers on the ground at the arches. they are in a protected case. and finally one CMB24D RGB DC Controller sitting on a mobile PC table in the garage next to the computer. as I have slowly moved into RGB over the last 4 years I have eliminated the use of long extension cords and 1 of the 16 channels controller that I only use one channel for lighting up the radio frequency sign. Next year I want to purchase 4 CMB24D RGB DC Controllers and convert each singing Christmas tree to RGB dumb pixels. The controller for each singing tree will end up being mounted to the back of each tree.

My show computer is in the basement. On the wall that separates the garage from the basement, I used two retro fit outlet boxes cut into both sides of the wall and used cat5 connectors attached to short cat5 cables between the two boxes and used cat5 cover plates to attach the connectors to. Then I run the cat5 cable from the garage box out the upper corner of the garage door weatherstrip to my first controller.

• The topic was locked