Light-O-Rama Forums

That moment when you realize.....

Dcroc

Pleasing the wife may not happen this year. Just not enough time to put a good show together. Don't see me having more than 3 or 4 songs by Halloween, and not much more for Christmas. Not gonna have time to put a smooth show together,  Way too much time and planning needed to do this right, and I'm working 7 days a week right now. Thus, this years show will be very "beginner". I simply do not have enough channels for Christmas to run everything I have. Not gonna stress over it too much. Next year will be much better, and well planned out.

Thanks for the support, guys. Glad to know I'm not alone in the nut house (anyone else get odd looks when you walk around singing Christmas songs in September?) . Also, I did purchase one sequence with the package. It is the wifes fav Christmas song. Mamma raised no fools.

I can tell ya, 64 channels is not beginner level. It's a good amount of channels for a really nice display.

And 3 or 4 songs (or not much more) is just fine. A 10 minute or so show is still good. Many folks will enjoy it.

I think your underestimating the amount of channels and songs you will have.

I will agree with others. Try to get her a little involved.

Now. I am going to ask. What is another song your wife really, really, really likes? I will create/donate a sequence of it for you to add to your show, at no cost. But don't tell her. Keep it a surprise.

A little Christmas present for you and the wife :)

You can PM me if you like. We can exchange emails there if you want.

And lastly, welcome to the world's craziest forum, members and hobby. :D

• Like 3

I live on Ft Drum (Army) and I had my first light show last Christmas. WELL... let's say Housing was not amused.  I assume someone complained, but about the wrong things.  Housing gave me a notice stating my music was too loud, and my lights too bright.  SO.. I politely told them, the music was on radio only, and I was using normal Christmas lights (minus the RGB mega tree).  So if they were mad about the brightness then everyone else on post with lights needed to take them down too.

THEN the MPs were called because Housing said I was creating a traffic disturbance (people would park and watch (duh)).  So the MPs having nothing better to do sent the whole force of 6 cars to come stop the tom foolery.  Well.. The MP who knocked on my door was the Sergeant of the Day and the Officer of the Watch who both shook my hand and said great work.

This year I bought another controller, and my next door neighbor asked if I could include his house in the lights as well.

(facebook Osprey Loop Ft Drum)

Its best to have the wife on board... mine is very creative and loves projects like this.  She is the one who drug me out of bed to buy $300 of lights the day after Christmas for next years display!

Edited by chandalen

Dcroc, where in NJ are you located? I live in Berlin (South Jersey) and would love to come a see you display this year.

When it comes to the neighbors, yes, they definitely think I'm crazy but they absolutely love the fact that I am crazy because their kids enjoy it so much. Haven't had a complaint yet.......well that's not exactly true, I have had a couple of neighbors complain that the music is NOT loud enough. Go figure.

With respect to my wife, I just quote her......."honey, it was on sale, I just couldn't pass it up." I can't imagine that will work much longer.

Welcome to the greatest bulletin board around. Collectively, the people on here know everything you could possibly ask about and they are more than willing to offer up assistance.

I noticed you listed Halloween as your favorite decorating holiday. Go to YouTube and search for "Hallowsville 2012 #2" and you will see the village my wife and I put up every Halloween in our sunroom. We invite the kids in on Halloween to see it and last year we had over 700 people come thru in only four hours.

I look forward to seeing your display.

John

WOW ...I feel like a dummy after reading this thread.  I bought a 16 channel set-up ;ast year, thinking I need another 16 chanel controller this year, somebody Please say some of us are slow to get the hang of it :)

Seriously ... I am planning on buying another 16 channel controler, tomorrow,  do I need anything else to couple it to the one I bought last year ?   I bought the basic set-up last year, then I realized I needed to have bought it a few months earlier, bought  a couple sequences then, but I've been working on one for the last week or so, got it backed up now, it's a 7 minute musical, I'm into 2 minutes now, maybe be done with it by Christmas :)

Two years ago was my first year and I jumped in with both feet. Started out with 96 channels. I figured if I'm going to do this, might as well do it right and go all the way. This year it'll be 144 AC channels plus 600 channels of pixel tree lights, plus RGB windows and firesticks.

I live in Marlton. Hop, skip, and a jump from Berlin. Would love to see your display. Will send ya a PM with my address. Would be great to have someone else that is into the same thing so close. The hobby lacks local clubs to join, so it is more like having to seek out the very few that are doing it in the area.

I got a start in this after seeing the Carson Williams video back in 2005 and the next year had an overwhelming 64 channel setup.  I was able to have 5 songs in the show, one being the modified Carson sequence which he shared back then.  Each year I added a controller or two.  Last year things came to a halt after the house took a lightning hit - but the show went on, just nothing new except a song.  This year finally introducing some RGB floods to the mix.

As to police encounters, I was waiting for that to happen after an accident occurred with a viewer parked on the wrong side of the road with a small boy in the passenger seat.  The two cars hit head on during a foggy evening.  The town responded with 6 squads, the paramedics and ambulance, and the big bucket fire engine.  Those were not the blinking lights I wanted to see.  Everyone ended up driving away, nobody went to the hospital.  A little fender bender but still.....  Last year setting up I was approached by an officer in uniform - his first words were "may I have a word with you sir".  Immediate flashback to the accident - then he asks "when is the show going to start this year?".  Immediate drop in blood pressure - and I tell him it is always the Friday after Thanksgiving.  As it will be again this year.

This is my first year and I know what your talking about...  Just got 48 channel's and 2 CMB24D's with a total of 32 RGB 5 meter strips.  16 are for the eve's of my house and the other 16 are for a mega tree...  I almost went pixel's but the amount of DMX channels stopped me...  maybe next year..  :)

As for my wife, she just thinks im crazzy for doing this but she thinks its kewl and fun, she actually helped me this weekend putting the RGB's up on the eve's..  :)

Thanks Tom..   I will, I think I have the light bug..  :)

Hey, another Okie :)

Welcome aboard Cowboy.

Keep it fun for the wife and you'll be a lot happier. LOL

-AS A WIFE-I couldn't buy off my husband with shoes.  (he has weak ankles so he can't wear heels)  when the lights invaded his work shop, I was smart.. go big or go home, so I added a room on to the garage! Thankfully he is on board with me and we do this as a project together.  It does get expensive.  I have 11 controllers -only bought 1 at full price.  we watch when someone is changing to some other thing and buy their controllers - or wait for sales.  He likes to build stuff.  he is a contractor so we get alot of material from scrape from his jobs.  we dont have many store bought props.   Since we donate the money people give us to charity, he gets to go out and talk to people every night, he is very social, we bump into people that have seen our show, the news comes out... so it gets to be pretty cool.  She'll come around.  just remember a few things.... think ahead.. lots of thrift stores have a Christmas in July sale, buy lights then, at Lowes and Home Depot, buy end of season stuff...and usually you can negotiate with them.  We usually get about 20% off sale items just by asking for a donation.  Hit yard sales, craigslist, etc.  building your stock of lights will become less and less... we only have to buy about 5000 lights this year.  ..... had police come first year, but they brought chairs to sit and watch the show.  (I invited them)  I bribe my neighbors with cookies.... and gift bags for putting up with the extra traffic.  Since we have a fire department at the end of the street we have to be mindful to make sure we don't block traffic. That happened the first year...fire truck had issues getting down the street... we fixed it, though I think during Christmas the go a different way now. :) FM transmitter to have people listen in their cars helps... keeps the noise down....

I know when I bought my First controller last year (16 channels) My mom and friends thought I was bonkers... Until the night the show Ran....Then all were totally flabbergasted.

This year with a large light/channel increase, my friends an mother have seen a preview and I even had an audience the other night @ 12 midnight... Which in the area I live (Country) is rare as most are in bed by 11pm.

1 note for thought:

1) Warning: The Blinky Flashy addiction can result in missed family events, time with loved ones and friends. There is no 12 Step program for the Blinky Flashy Addiction...LOL

2) Buy More lights and controllers.

Welcome to the addiction/sickness. I got my first controller, inserted the photo of my house and knew within the hour I needed more controllers. I now have 3 and also just got a 27 channel RGB controller. The sickness will run deep. Garage sales throughout the year when you get a chance, I have purchased a lot of good extension cords and LED lights at yard sales.

My wife does not think I am nuts, she knows. She has to find a support group for spouses of LOR users. However, like she says, there could be much worse things to be addicted too. She also says I have spread the sickness to my daughter, who is 5, as she is always talking about lights too.

To make my wife happy, I have inserted a song she had requested. It is called "crossroads" and is in memory of our son who passed 2 years ago. There is also a tree that is nothing but red, just for our son.

Keep on keeping on with the addiction. I have Talked to my neighbor who's front yard adjoins mine about taking over his house as well.

To make my wife happy, I have inserted a song she had requested. It is called "crossroads" and is in memory of our son who passed 2 years ago. There is also a tree that is nothing but red, just for our son.

Spoonjr,

Sorry to hear the loss of your son. I'm sure it was tough but you creating a sequence in his memory is very cool.

I did that for my parents when I lost them a couple years ago. I sequenced "Above the Northern Lights" by Mannheim Steamroller. Talk about pullin some tears. But it is so graceful and reminds me so much of them. It was (and still is) perfect. And it will be on my play list every year till I die. Because I plan to do this crazy hobby every year till I die.

Hi spoonjr, I'm sorry for your loss, I lost my son to cancer 3 months ago... my wife doesn't want me to do a light show at all this year, she has stated "No Lights, No Reason" but, I am doing a light show anyhow, we get over a hundred cars a week and as we get closer to Christmas, you can easily double that amount. just because my wife and i (and you and your wife too) was given the worst thing a parent can go through, I still feel obligated to provide a nice light show for the families that still find time during their Christmas season to spend some time watching the blinking lights, plus my son loved the light show, when we had cars lined up and down the street he would go out with a basket full of candy canes and wear his Santa Hat and talk to the people and the kids, He loved this time of year....just like his dad

Edited by PMC

I keep going back and forth between "THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!" and "I can't do this, and I wasted my money". However, every time I think I can't do something with this, I come back to it the next day and it all makes sense. Been able to figure everything out that I have gotten to so far. Guess I started the thread on one of the "I can't" days.

Pleasing the wife may not happen this year. Just not enough time to put a good show together. Don't see me having more than 3 or 4 songs by Halloween, and not much more for Christmas. Not gonna have time to put a smooth show together,  Way too much time and planning needed to do this right, and I'm working 7 days a week right now. Thus, this years show will be very "beginner". I simply do not have enough channels for Christmas to run everything I have. Not gonna stress over it too much. Next year will be much better, and well planned out.

Thanks for the support, guys. Glad to know I'm not alone in the nut house (anyone else get odd looks when you walk around singing Christmas songs in September?) . Also, I did purchase one sequence with the package. It is the wifes fav Christmas song. Mamma raised

not in September....I do however get looks listening to Christmas music in March and April....

Welcome to the addiction/sickness. I got my first controller, inserted the photo of my house and knew within the hour I needed more controllers. I now have 3 and also just got a 27 channel RGB controller. The sickness will run deep. Garage sales throughout the year when you get a chance, I have purchased a lot of good extension cords and LED lights at yard sales.

My wife does not think I am nuts, she knows. She has to find a support group for spouses of LOR users. However, like she says, there could be much worse things to be addicted too. She also says I have spread the sickness to my daughter, who is 5, as she is always talking about lights too.

Keep on keeping on with the addiction. I have Talked to my neighbor who's front yard adjoins mine about taking over his house as well.

Im sorry to hear about your son, but what a great way to honor him.  That's what makes it special.  We all have our reasons for this addiction.. for the props,, for the songs.... that's what I love about this site, we get it.... we know its something that everyone put their hearts in to.  Wish I was in Nevada to see it.  It would warm my heart... and it's great that your daughter is helping... will make great memories, her helping... great ideas will come from the mind of a child!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first year - and I am the wife!  I've been saying that I'm going to do this for several years and this year I finally took the plunge.   My husband recently requested that I put spot lights into the display but when I said I had already spent $2200 this year and that I'll pick them up on sale after Christmas... he reminded me that I say that EVERY year and EVERY year the shelves are picked clean. 

Morale of the story.... bitch every year about how you can't find anything on sale and after a while your spouse will beg you to pay full price so you will just be quiet :P

Janet

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  I thought the starter package with 32 channels was a good start. :o

I used The Demented Elf to record a neighborhood announcement just like this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmoRJXQQf0

I initially plan on scheduling it on the 00:15 and 00:30 of the four-hour display time.

I also have an FM transmitter, as it gets closer to the actual holidays, I will consider connecting speakers.