Light-O-Rama Forums

That moment when you realize.....

Dcroc

...that 64 channels is actually a rather small starter package, and the $2k you just dropped on your FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, is just a drop in the bucket of what is gonna be a very expensive hobby.

My wife is not happy, and my friends may be right....I may be nuts. Pretty sure the neighbors will be thinking the same thing. Has anyone ever had any problems with neighbors, or police showing up?

Edited by Dcroc
  • Like 2

...that 64 channels is actually a rather small starter package, and the $2k you just dropped on your FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, is just a drop in the bucket of what is gonna be a very expensive hobby.

My wife is not happy, and my friends may be right....I may be nuts. Pretty sure the neighbors will be thinking the same thing. Has anyone ever had any problems with neighbors, or police showing up?

Police? The Police actually help with a big light show in town. It's the Fred Loya Show 

And yes, welcome to the party  ;)

Don't forget to explore RGB!

Edited by Christmas

..that 64 channels is actually a rather small starter package, and the $2k you just dropped on your FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, is just a drop in the bucket of what is gonna be a very expensive hobby.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to the Madness!  Try to get the wifey involved so your not spending so much time in the dog house. ;)

Edited by 75redman

Be sure you sequence one (or more) of your wife's favorite songs - regardless of whether it's a Christmas tune or not.  Give her something to own and a funnel for soaking up the notoriety the display bestows upon residents of the house.  Once people start saying nice things she'll be telling you that you need more.  (Lights and channels people - get your minds out of the gutter.) :D

• Like 2

Awesome way to start & welcome. 100% agree with George. Make at least some of the show about her & next year she's pushing you to your limits.

I'm only in 3rd year & wife is telling me to can my new arches and go RGB this year. Just no time left.

My first year was 32 channels. Then 128 and a bit of RGB. The next year was 6,000+ channels and a bit of AC channels. Now, over 10K channels and zero AC channels. Well, unless you count the inside tree topper, which is 9 incans. But then again, it's not part of the show either.

My wife for 4 years has complained, until she starts seeing the smiles on visitors faces. She's then all "Oh he's the one that does it, (pointing at me), isn't it beautiful? He did a good job didn't he?"

Welcome to the addict.........I mean hobby.

Happy lighting!!!

Ron

The only problem (okay) there are many, but one problem with this hobby is...you can't go to you wife and say...what??? New shoes again?  She immediately pulls out the monthly bill for the storage unit, and says, that's just the shell, how many fricken shoes could we both have bought had you not started this light extravaganza!    So, whenever questioning the wife about spending...deep breath, count to 10, and enjoy the blinkies!

• Like 1

My wife is not happy,

That may take a year or so. :) If she has a favorite song, make sure to do that. My wife likes Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero", because she used to work for a military contractor, so I made sure to do that, even if it's not my favorite.

After a few years, my wife really got into it. She's now helping to design the lights on the neighbor's house (see below). When we drove around to see other shows in the area, she saw a pixel tree and told me that I should get one of those. Yes, dear!

and my friends may be right....I may be nuts. Pretty sure the neighbors will be thinking the same thing. Has anyone ever had any problems with neighbors, or police showing up?

It may be a little late for you, but I solved any potential neighbor problem the first season. Early in the year, I told them what I was planning, and asked if they would like to join me. Two neighbors (one with a kid) were excited to join. This year we should have 7 houses in the display.

Once people start saying nice things she'll be telling you that you need more.  (Lights and channels people - get your minds out of the gutter.) :D

Aint that the truth!  All year long its "I hate this, you spend too much money, etc..."  When the show goes live and we have people watching and commenting on it its "We (meaning you) need to do this next year, or add that, I love our (meaning hers) show..."  lol

I can assure you that my lady of the house thought the same things...I was nuts...the setup in the yard looked like garbage and I was throwing away money. Well she sure changed her tune when she saw it run for the first time out there, two years ago. The grandkids sealed the deal totally by them dancing in the driveway and their eyes all lit up! Last year, my 2nd, was even better and this year will be better than last. Hope for your sake, your wife likes what you do when she sees it run!

• Like 1

Yep...had police show up several times...but if a neighbor complains they HAVE to show up...they didn't do anything, just wished us a merry Christmas...

• Like 1

Yep...had police show up several times...but if a neighbor complains they HAVE to show up...they didn't do anything, just wished us a merry Christmas...

That happened to me for the first time last year.  He came in the middle of the day and knocked on the door.  We had a good conversation and he said there really wasn't anything they could do but asked if I had any idea how I could control the traffic better.... I told him no.. so we talked about it and we shook hands and he left..  Found out one of my neighbors complained. 

I was going to give it up at that point.. but my wife loves it and she hinted that she would miss it too much.. so... I decided to keep going.. I was shocked that she of all people was on my side.  LOL..

Edited by plasmadrive

My wife is not happy, ....I may be nuts.

Keep the wife happy and keep your sanity. Cut your losses now. I'll give you $1500 for your package.

And Plasma I am glad that the wifey weighed in for you to continue your show. I remember last year you coming into the forum and saying how you where going to throw in the towel. I know a good number of us pleaded for you to stay and do your show. But it appears that the wife's vote has more weight as it should. :D

• Like 1

I keep going back and forth between "THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!" and "I can't do this, and I wasted my money". However, every time I think I can't do something with this, I come back to it the next day and it all makes sense. Been able to figure everything out that I have gotten to so far. Guess I started the thread on one of the "I can't" days.
Pleasing the wife may not happen this year. Just not enough time to put a good show together. Don't see me having more than 3 or 4 songs by Halloween, and not much more for Christmas. Not gonna have time to put a smooth show together,  Way too much time and planning needed to do this right, and I'm working 7 days a week right now. Thus, this years show will be very "beginner". I simply do not have enough channels for Christmas to run everything I have. Not gonna stress over it too much. Next year will be much better, and well planned out.

Thanks for the support, guys. Glad to know I'm not alone in the nut house (anyone else get odd looks when you walk around singing Christmas songs in September?) . Also, I did purchase one sequence with the package. It is the wifes fav Christmas song. Mamma raised no fools.

Edited by Dcroc

I keep going back and forth between "THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER!!" and "I can't do this, and I wasted my money". However, every time I think I can't do something with this, I come back to it the next day and it all makes sense. Been able to figure everything out that I have gotten to so far. Guess I started the thread on one of the "I can't" days.

Pleasing the wife may not happen this year. Just not enough time to put a good show together. Don't see me having more than 3 or 4 songs by Halloween, and not much more for Christmas. Not gonna have time to put a smooth show together,  Way too much time and planning needed to do this right, and I'm working 7 days a week right now. Thus, this years show will be very "beginner". I simply do not have enough channels for Christmas to run everything I have. Not gonna stress over it too much. Next year will be much better, and well planned out.

Thanks for the support, guys. Glad to know I'm not alone in the nut house (anyone else get odd looks when you walk around singing Christmas songs in September?) . Also, I did purchase one sequence with the package. It is the wifes fav Christmas song. Mamma raised no fools.

It is the coolest thing ever, it's a lot of fun, and totally worth it when you see all the smiles you get.

As for the short on time thing, You don't have to make 100% custom squences your first year around. Or ever if you don't want to. 

Check this link out http://www.highcountrylights.com/links/free-sequences.html

It's an index of many free sequences you can use. I suggest Chris' Sequences - LOR

You will have to adapt them to work with your set up but the structure for the songs are there.

• Like 1

Ask for her input. How would you do this? Does this look good? bla bla bla.

We have a neighbour from hell and never had the police show up for the lights (just about everything else).