Light-O-Rama Forums

Whats your opinion on selling sequences?

GDesch

If I were inexperienced at it, I might purchase a sequence. But I wouldn't buy it from some guy on Facebook or ebay. If the seller were incorporated, I would consider it.

Individuals selling mediocre sequences should get out of the business and allow the talent to flourish. Because crummy sequences hurts the business and puts a black eye on the community.

/ use to load mine on lot sequences.com for free. Have given dozens away.

I like others build my display by taking other peoples work and copy/pasting it to my own.

This still takes many hours. Last year I had 16 channels so not bad.

I had no problem giving them away. This year I am currently at 176 channels (11 LOR boxes).

Though my shows might not be the greatest thing on earth, once I am done, I will have no problems giving them out.

It is not like my show is going to work for your show. But there are aspects which you could use.

I thought this is about Christmas. Why get mad at a few guys selling your work?

Just think about the giving spirit of Christmas and pass it along. Remember that guy who is selling your work has karma, too.

What I don't like is being scolded when asking for a particular song.

We all know it is piracy. However, like me, most on here will go buy the song... It is the chopped up, Mashed up version of the song that we need to match your sequences.

I go out and buy the entire CD for the one song I may use. A CD on Ebay is usually under 4.00 shipped. Well worth it. There might be a song I use next year.

This hobby is something we all enjoy and love doing it.

So share your stuff... Then don't go out looking for it later and you won't get mad that Dewey Jerkski is selling your work.

Do you know why we Pollock's end our last name with ski?

We can't spell toboggan.

Very well said Mike.

I probably would have given up on this hobby after 1 year if gracious people didn't share there sequences. Sharing sequences for the most part is sharing timings. With all the tools that are available it is quite easy to take a shared sequence and make it work for your display. It still takes quite a bit of time but not as much time as starting from scratch.

I have shared all my sequences and will continue to do so, the way I see it I made someone's Christmas who knows where maybe just a bit brighter, and everyone who has shared with me I can guarantee you have made this corner in Cleveland, TN a little bit more cheerier at Christmas time. You have made many a person forget about life's worries for just a few moments in time.

I dont have a problem with people selling sequences, I have even bought a few myself. If it works for you that's great.

Like Mike said this is all about Christmas which is the time of giving.

I have benefited from both pay and free sequences, but I never have shared. Mostly because up until last year, I would be too embarrassed for others to see my mess. Also, I was using parts of others shared sequences and didn't feel I had the right to distribute my derivative works.

But, I have always been appreciative of those willing to share. I will try to start sharing as well.

This conversation seems to rear its head each and every year about this time on this forum or another...

There's no way in He** that someone elses sequence will ever go into mine just due to my layout and display items...  It would be like me asking George for one of his sequences.  (just kidding George, I've actually contimplated purchasing, for the first time ever, one of your sequences)

Years ago...way way back....when I first started in this hobbie I used the copy/paste method.  I think on average I used parts from four different sequences just for one of mine at that time.  Just this past week I asked to see someone elses sequence.  However, nowadays I use it mainly for timing when I don't have the time to start a new song. 

I will always give my sequences away free to anyone this is how the hobby will stay alive look at all the new lighters on the form

I will always give my sequences away free to anyone this is how the hobby will stay alive look at all the new lighters on the form

I guess it all goes back to the saying,  " you get what you pay for".  

I wish I was smart enough to take somebody else's sequences and use them on my display but since I am not I will continue to build my own. Heck I am not smart enough to figure out how  to put the banner at the bottom of my posts telling everybody that I have well over 500 channels using 36 controllers. I was smart enough use Vimeo and a personal website kevinkolak.com but I had help doing it. Give me some PVC and a string of lights and stand back....lol

In the last 3 years I got married, had two children, moved to a new home and remodeled it, became a landlord with my old home, now trying to sell that home, and several other life changing events.   Some years I just want to give up on lightorama and sell all my equipment because of the time it takes to store and set up for Halloween and Christmas by myself mostly.   But then I run in to people out there in other places around town  that say "You are the light guy!" and I also get hand-written letters from kids (in crayon and the like) that thank me for the show.   They are expecting it now, and it can be stressful at times having this to-do list in my mind all year round on what I can do to improve my show next time.

I am an engineer-minded person and the timing and attention to detail makes even cutting-and-pasting from someone else's sequence very time consuming.  Yes, you gotta change it to make it work for your yard.

Bottom line, I am very thankful to those of you who share, and I am thankful that those of you who feel you have something special and are willing to sell it.   I just don't have the time right now but the show must go on.  I am a very capable programmer, but I really enjoy the option of using someone else's work to get more time with my family, and get enough sleep so I can go to work and bring home a paycheck for the family.  I always give credit to you guys when people ask me how my show is possible.

I would hate to think that any sequence I purchased is from someone who got it for free or bought it from someone else.   So I look in these forums to try to identify reputable sellers.   

Is there a list somewhere here of who NOT to buy from?   I know karma will get those folks in the end, but I don't want to send them my money if I can help it.

Thank you all again for your knowledge, hours of work, sequences, and inspiration.

Happy Holidays

Have to chime in on this topic.  I don't think its selfish at all to charge for sequences.  If the sequence is good enough, people will pay for it.  Its as simple as that.  

I too will comment on sharing sequences. When I first started in this hobby I asked and some of the good old boys and they gave me some of there hard work. Yes they sent me some sequences.

I can honestly say that I did not use them to copy and paste. I used them to learn how they did what they did with their lights. After watching for many hours I started my sequence from scratch.

I tried to emulate what I learned from them. I have since shared many of my sequences with others. When I send a sequence I will ask the person to let me know if it helped them out. I will say that

I never hear from 95% of the folks that asked me for a sequence. The other 5% are very grateful and will let me know that. I also ran into folks asking for a sequence and then asking me why I did not include the audio for it.

Really? I guess what we all are looking for when we share our hard work is a bit of gratitude. This is just my opinion. Yes we all know that opinions are like ^&*!(). We all have one.

• The topic was locked