Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Circles

Randall Huber

Mine is 3/4" grey electrical PVC with the male end stuck inside the female end. (I know that sounds dirty but I can't think of any other way to describe it.) I attach it to a 4x4 post with conduit clamps top and bottom to keep the round shape.

If I was doing it today, and/or whenever I re-do mine, I'd give 1" white PEX a try

Edited by George Simmons

Hub and spigot if you want to be technical, or bell end and non-bell end.  Male and female are not dirty in of themselves.

When you get to the larger sizes, you have to be more exact to get the correct types of connectors.

Any chance you'd know the origin of the hub and spigot terms? That should be interesting. Just looking at a piece of PVC I have a hard time reconciling either term with it.

I call it male and female too.  I was wondering if your 4x4 was in the ground.  I am looking at ways to attach the 4 circles to some sort of support system.

I use 1\2" rebar driven 2 1\2ft in the ground and just use pipe clamps. I requires no additional supports.

Mine is 3/4" grey electrical PVC with the male end stuck inside the female end. (I know that sounds dirty but I can't think of any other way to describe it.) I attach it to a 4x4 post with conduit clamps top and bottom to keep the round shape.

If I was doing it today, and/or whenever I re-do mine, I'd give 1" white PEX a try

I have to ask how on earth do you get a 16 foot piece (since we're talking a CCR, I'm assuming that length) of 3/4" PVC to bend in a 360 without kinking? I will admit I've never tried anything close to that much of a bend, but I've kinked one with a far smaller bend. Now if I had an oven that large it would be easy...

Just curious what everyone is making there circles out of and what kind of supports you use.

I am selling my CCR circles this year, these are the circles that Brian @ Superstar recorded his circles on his website. They are made from 1/2 square hollow steel and professional rolled in circles and welded. Comes also with 1/2" solid steel stakes and the CCR's. 

I am asking $600.00 for all four circles, includes everything including the storage boxes for the controllers. DMX or LOR protocol work great on these CCR and have used DMX only for that last 3 years.

This cannot be shipped easily as the circles are slightly over 5 foot in diameter, if you have a wide bed pickup truck that will work but not a car unless you can mount on the roof. Local pickup is recommended but will leave that up to you.

I can send pictures if you want so you can see them set up and how easy they are to assemble using hose clamps.

This is the first set of CCR Circles made.

I call it male and female too.  I was wondering if your 4x4 was in the ground.  I am looking at ways to attach the 4 circles to some sort of support system.

Yes - pardon my incompleteness. The 4x4 is 12' long and I sink it 2' into the ground. At that depth, with the soil packed properly, it needs absolutely no further stabilizing. The ground freezing here is just a bonus.

I have to ask how on earth do you get a 16 foot piece (since we're talking a CCR, I'm assuming that length) of 3/4" PVC to bend in a 360 without kinking? I will admit I've never tried anything close to that much of a bend, but I've kinked one with a far smaller bend. Now if I had an oven that large it would be easy...

Again, my incompleteness... I used two 10' sections joined together with the second piece cut down so that it matched perfectly the length of the ribbon. The grey electrical PVC is just bendable enough. I do recommend doing it in the sun on a nice hot day. Left to it's own devices, it will try to assume somewhat of an oval shape. Hence the clamps on the 4x4 holding it in a round shape. I made it the day after I got my first CCR in 2009 and just this past week when I took it off the post to repair the ribbon, the PVC still wanted to ovalize.

• The topic was locked