Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16D

Mike Heatherly

I have a CTB16D, I tried to bench test my board after assembly. I only have the two power cords hooked up, but i get no led. I have no jumper on the large header by the led is this wrong?

Mike

daniel wrote:

Ok basics....

Check....

Both Fuses
Power Voltage jumper
do you have the power jumpers in to link both halfs of the board
Possible places for a short

--Daniel L

I've checked some of the basics. Fuses are good. I have pwr jumpers in for 120vac. I have pwr cords to both sides of the board. I've looked over the board for solder bridges. I've made sure Q16 and Q17 were right. I thought about trying to take some voltage readings but I wasn't sure how long i wanted to leave it powerd up.

Mike

daniel wrote:

Is the led in the correct way? Any parts getting particulary hot?

--Daniel L

led is correct, nothing getting hot but I didn't leave it on for long.

Mike

Maybe you have already tried this, but you sure you are getting electricity to the board? Reason I ask: I fired up one of my boards, set the ID and checked the circuits with the hardware utility last week. Couple of days ago I got all my lights set up, and fired up all my boxes. One of them did not work. This box has two leads, but since I am just using 1 100 light string on each channel I used a "new" triple tap" to hook both power leads into one extension cord. After checking with a meter everything I could check in the box and found no power, finally changed out the triple tap and all was well. One bad tripple tap into the trash.

James

The input cord on the right, that also supplies power to channels 9-16 is the power cord that powers the onboard electronics. On the LOR web site there is a nice troubleshooting sheet. I beleive it is listed under the PC version of the board...but is still very applicable to the 16D.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/Kit_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

Do you have a volt meter? You will need one to make some voltage checks.

Chuck

Let me first say I appreciate everybodies help. I do have Voltage> I have checked it at the fuses. I have 122vac at each of the (16) 6pin ic's. I'm not sure where else to check. I have also written to LOR, but I'm sure those guys are swamped.

Thanks, Mike

OK bonehead me put the micro-processor (U2) in backwards. I switched it and the led is now blinking. Now for damage control, I think I burned up my 5v reg (hot) and the voltage on pins on the header are 9v. Is there other stuff I should check or should I get a new 5v reg and then start over?

Mike

Don't use both two power cords AND the power jumpers. Either remove the left hand power cord, or remove the jumpers.

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Don't use both two power cords AND the power jumpers. Either remove the left hand power cord, or remove the jumpers.

-Tim

The jumpers I was refering to are not the ones for power, They are the little black jumbers on the board that you use to select between 120v and 240v setup.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Heatherly wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

-Tim

The jumpers I was refering to are not the ones for power, They are the little black jumbers on the board that you use to select between 120v and 240v setup.

Thanks, Mike

Ah, gotcha.

-Tim

Mike Heatherly wrote:

OK bonehead me put the micro-processor (U2) in backwards. I switched it and the led is now blinking. Now for damage control, I think I burned up my 5v reg (hot) and the voltage on pins on the header are 9v. Is there other stuff I should check or should I get a new 5v reg and then start over?

Mike

Power things off. Remove the U2 chip. Then make sure that you know where to check the 18 pin header for voltages.

Power things back on and check the voltages at the header. You shold have a 9V and a 5V. If they are both 9 volts then you have a serious problem but I do not think that will be the case.

It is normal for the 5V regulator to get warm.

Let us know what the voltages are.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Power things off. Remove the U2 chip. Then make sure that you know where to check the 18 pin header for voltages.

Power things back on and check the voltages at the header. You shold have a 9V and a 5V. If they are both 9 volts then you have a serious problem but I do not think that will be the case.

It is normal for the 5V regulator to get warm.

Let us know what the voltages are.

Ok so yesterday I was freaking out a little bit. When I was checking my voltage on the 18 pin header I was on VAC not VDC and I was reading from ground to the pins. Today I am a little more level headed.

On the 18 pin header between the top left pin and the four one down on the left I have 5vdc.

Between the top left pin and the third pin down I have 9.71vdc

Reading the voltage between D1 & D2 I have 28.46vac.

My LED is blinking. Is there anything else I should check or am I OK? :?

Again I want to thank everyone for all the help. I love these boards. (PC)&(LOR)

Mike

OK guys newbe still having problems. I was told that my voltages look ok so now I am trying to hook up to computer. In the hardware utility when I hit auto-config for the comm port I get an error message.

Port Not Found Unable to locate the light-o-rama port. Check that controller is connected and that it is powered on.

The funny thing is when the error message comes up the led on the board goes solid

What ton do now, please.

Mike

Is the jumper on the 18 pin header in its correct spot? should be 2nd set down from top. other wise it will keep resetting. you may want to try to reset the controller if the jumper is in the right place. Check your cables and usb connection also just to be sure.

I hooked up my other board ctb16pc and did the manual config for the comm port and change ID and it worked on comm4. I went through and checked all the channels. All good. I put the ctb16d board back on the computer, by itself. I tried the same manual config and got an error on all ports.

Unable to locate to change address. Check connections and power.

fire_paramedic

As far as I know the ctb16d does not have a jumper on the 18 pin header. I could be wrong.

Mike

You are correct the ctb16d does not, my fault i thought we were talking about a ctb16pc, sorry.

Not sure if you have tried this below.

Just to be sure, since this is a ctb16d the unit address must be set with the hex switches in top right of the board. The hardware utility would give a set address error since it cannot do that on this board.

These are also set to 00 to reset the board but must be done in a specific way to reset it properly. and must then be set to the unit id you need, different from the ctb16pc.