Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels

Steelers95

I just got a sandeivce e682 with ws2811 pixels. I am using an old computer power supply and have got all the led indicators on the board to light up with the green indicator blinking. Im trying to test the pixels but everytime I turn the power supply on the pixels blink red for a quick second and then turn off. Is this because im not getting enough power?

The pixels will not stay lit up until you go into the config screen of the 682 and tell it what type of pixels and how many pixels per string. At that point put a 1, 2 or 3 in the test mode and the pixels should light.

ok, im trying to configure my e682 by typing 192.168.1.206 into the address bar but nothing happens when I do that. So then I Tried to use the over ride by bringing up the black box like it says but that's not working either. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

What is the ip of the computer you are trying to connect with? It needs to have an ip number in the same range. ie.. 192.168.1.20

Sounds simple but do you have power to the sans? It is powered from the right bank not the left if I remember correctly.

Update: Never mind. Looks like you got it going in another post.

Edited by sax

Yeah, I finally got onto the sandevices web configuration page. I still cant seem to figure out how to get the lights to come on in test mode. I have the lights plugged into section 3-1 with power going to that side of the board. I cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong, the lights flash when the power gets turned on but then nothing?

On the configuration page, you have to change the ports to the quantity and types of lights. 

Once that's done, at the top right there's a test mode #. Change that from 0 to anything from 1 to 14 and you'll get a test pattern.

I would plug the lights into 1-1 though as the pattern starts there and lights them up one at a time.  To turn the lights off, change the mode back to 0.

Ive got everything all setup, the type of lights, the number of ports that im using but I cant seem to get the lights to come on. I think it may be either the type of power supply that Im using, im using an old computer power supply maybe the pixels aren't getting enough power or maybe I have the pixels wired wrong, should I be connecting the output or the input end of the pixels to the e682?

Use a multimeter on the output ports of the Sans Device and check that on V+ and V- of the port that you are getting 5V. I'm assuming you have 5V pixels and are using 5V from the computer's power supply correct? If you get 5V here then your problem isn't power.

What kind of pixels?

You can also check for 5V where the board gets it's input from too.

Opps just noticed below I marked port 3-3, not 3-1 which is one to the left of that.

14520936942_20d0dea0f1_z_d.jpg

Edited by jstorms

Im actually using 12v ws2811 pixels, and am using only 12v from the old computer power supply. I cut off the 3 pin jst connector that the pixels came with and connected the male end of the pixels to the sandevice. Thanks for the picture, although I have not tryed using a multi meter yet

Not clear to me, is this a strip? or pixels with wires between each pixel. If by chance a strip, which way is the arrow pointing? Towards or away from the controller?

You got the + and the Gnd reversed. I am looking at my board right now. if you look at the imprint under 1-2 or 4-4.

Edited by jldavis1969

Max, Nevermind, I was getting them backwards.

The pins are from left to right:

Left outer : GND

Left Inner : CLK

Right inner : DATA

Right outer : V+

I have the ws2811 pixels and the problem was that I had the wrong end of the string connected to the sandevice. Thankfully everything has been working fine since except for one blown fuse which I believe was caused by crossing the ground and the v+. I actually just figured out to configure them with light o rama and at the moment everything is going smoothly. This being my first year with pixels and only my second year using light o rama its definitely been a learning experience but I appreciate all the help that everyone has given me. 

Steelers,

Glad to hear you got it working. Ya, its a lot of stuff to learn for sure. Thanks for confirming that it was the arrows pointing the wrong way.