Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Hardware

Denny

While working on my display this year, I keep thinking, wouldn't it be nice if ....... So, here are a couple suggestions that I would like to see the LOR elves work on.

1. A simple, economical LOR board that could be used only for on and off functions. I have used so many channels this year to perform simple on and off functions. I am not familiar with DIO boards, maybe they can do this, but there might be a market out there for something from LOR just to do on/off functions. It would be less expensive than the comparable amount of X10 modules and more accurate as far as timing.

2. How about something that would open a whole new arena? I am thinking of a board that would control pneumatics or even hydraulics (audio-animatronics :cool:). I know there are dedicated web sites to this, but to have something with built in safety features would open a lot of possibilities for new types of display items.

Does anyone else have ideas or suggestions for Santa LOR and the elves?

How about high power boards? 4 channels 10 amps each? (like ctb-16d, two inputs) Could be used for a big chunk of yard that does not need the detail of individual chanels.

A display tester, a handheld device that can take the cat-5 and display the units on an LCD screen, and possibly a function do send comands to the controlles, (all on/off). This would replace the need to drag a laptop out into the yard to do last minuite trouble-shooting.

--Daniel L

Denny wrote:

While working on my display this year, I keep thinking, wouldn't it be nice if ....... So, here are a couple suggestions that I would like to see the LOR elves work on.

1. A simple, economical LOR board that could be used only for on and off functions. I have used so many channels this year to perform simple on and off functions. I am not familiar with DIO boards, maybe they can do this, but there might be a market out there for something from LOR just to do on/off functions. It would be less expensive than the comparable amount of X10 modules and more accurate as far as timing.

2. How about something that would open a whole new arena? I am thinking of a board that would control pneumatics or even hydraulics (audio-animatronics :cool:). I know there are dedicated web sites to this, but to have something with built in safety features would open a lot of possibilities for new types of display items.

Does anyone else have ideas or suggestions for Santa LOR and the elves?

From what I understand, dimming is really no more expensive to do than on/off. The hardware is basically the same, and the dimming is done in firmware. (I could be wrong, but this is what I understand).

Some LOR boards can do servo control, and you could control other things with the DC boards or even standard LOR boards and proper wiring...

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Denny wrote:

1. A simple, economical LOR board that could be used only for on and off functions. I have used so many channels this year to perform simple on and off functions. I am not familiar with DIO boards, maybe they can do this,
I use a 48 chan. DIO board for this on-off function. 40 channels AC and 8 DC. I had to build my own interface and triac (SSR) circuits. I save my LOR channels for ones that need dim and shimmer effects.

An ethernet interface would be nice. Each has it's own IP and connect to a hub rather than all in series as 485.