Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't get the MP3 Director to work for some reason....

plasmadrive

And I can't talk to it with anything to see if it is running.  I can set the time and make a show on an SD card (without the director) but there is no way that I have been able to find that allows me to see what is going on in the MP3 director with S3..

There seems to be no real time feed back what so ever.  I can't see if triggers are working, what show is running or even if one is running.  When it is closed up in a box and you can't see the readout, it is a black box of mystery. 

I have a show on a disc and the director shows on the readout that it is triggered, but the show doesn't run.  I pulled the SD card and put it back and it started,but then it just stopped..

Is there any secret to this thing to get it to run or to look at it's condition with the HU??? 

Any help would be appriciated..

• Like 1

Good afternoon,

If I am not mistaking there is a possibility to test inputs with the hardware util. see the manual of s3 section hardware util

Dick

Edited by Trickyd

The only way to verify a show is playing is to connect your director to an LOR controller with some lights connected and activate your show. You should see the lights blinking in time with your audio. This is the only way I have tested mine as you can't use the S3 software to test it that I'm aware. If yours is not activating the lights when connected to your controller, it could be caused by a defective CAT5 cable or a defective Director.

I am using animations sequences only.  I just found out my problem is a bit bigger.. I have spent the last 12 hrs troubleshooting down to the point were I have found out that that play itself is bad.  I plays the first command only!  I simplified it down to a program with only 2 transitions. It does the first but that is where it stops.  I changed the show many many times.. only to find out this is my problem.... it is not playing passed the first command as far as I can tell.  

I AM SUPPOSED TO BE ON A PLANE IN THE MORNING BUT THIS NEEDS TO WORK.. HELP ANYONE?

One of the settings for the "trigger" that starts directory playing is how long to play.  If I recall correctly, you can choose "Until the sequences ends" or "until the trigger ends".  My lego robotics team had a motion detector hooked up to the Director as part of a "scare animals away from crops to prevent eColi contamination" project.  We had the trigger set to play until the sequence ends,  which means the sequence plays over and over until the motion stopped, then the sequence  ran through completion. (they used a switch to simulate motion and flipped it on then immediately off)

You set that with the hardware utility if I recall correctly. 

I put in a simple 2 command program and it plays the first one only.. It has to be the processor..  

Also, when I was triggering the regular show, it went into "init" mode which means it initialized for no reason.. All bad.. 

Edited by plasmadrive

OK.. Here is what I think will be the final outcome. 

I ran out of time on site and had to fly back to the USA.  So I pulled the Director and flew back to California from Canada.  The previous night I contacted LOR via a ticket.. Dan and Chuck responded and after sending them files they said the problem is the firmware.  Apparently there were a couple of updates that my unit did not come with.  Seems two versions back won't run a two network show.  I never upgraded the firmware because I was unaware it needed to be upgraded since it is brand new (to me at least).   I would guess they released that older firmware without actually testing it on two networks.  Both Dan and Chuck seemed to know right away what the problem must be.

So now I have updated the firmware and it seems to be running as far as I can tell from the readout on the Director itself. Tomorrow I will connect up a couple of iDMX units and see if they run ok.  I had no internet capabilities where I was doing the install so I had no way to even guess at the firmware issue.. so now I must fly back to Canada and do the re-install on the final artwork install site. No internet there either.. Hope it works out better.

Thanks to all that tried to help out..  I am a bit miffed that such a firmware release could have made it thru any sort of vetting before release... especially given how careful LOR seems to be with firmware releases. 

To Dan's credit, he has offered to make it right by me.  No details are necessary, just know that he stepped up to do so.  First class response to a situation gone very wrong.

Craig

Glad you've identified the problem. I had updated my Director firmware to the latest version when I received it a few months ago because of this firmware notice http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29127-new-firmware-for-mp3g3/?hl=%2Bg3-mp3+%2Bdirector+%2Bfirmware#entry271238 by LOR. Hope it solved your problem.

• The topic was locked